Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again, posting from overseas, getting ready for T5 swap when I get home. I am pretty sure I do not have an "extra" fly wheel retainer. Are these hard to find, cheap to buy, or absolutley necessary?
There is one on Ebay for like 30 bucks, that seems kind of high to me...What do you think?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
What's a flywheel retainer? A ring that you lock the bolts with? If yes, not needed IMO, just properly torque for a manual trans flywheel.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I had a retainer once...hurt my teeth like hell! :) No idea what that is? But if I had a flywheel - I''d kinda like to keep it! I have seen them go through bell housings in the past - and let me tell ya, it ain't pretty. SO if this prevents that - $30 sounds cheap.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Could you post a link to what you are referring to? I thought flywheel bolts were just loctited and toqued. Mike

·
Registered
437 Posts
Don't skimp onthe flywheel bolts. I can't think of the name brand ones I got when I replaced my flywheel, but you definitely don't want them to break.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Is this some kind of aftermarket flywheel? Automatic transmission flexplates typically utilize a retainer ring, but I've never seen a manual transmission flywheel that does.

As others have said, use quality bolts (I like ARP), Loctite, and torque to spec. An SFI-spec bellhousing/scattershield is nice insurance. But I doubt that's the item in question, since those go for a whole lot more than thirty bucks.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts