Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've not tried them, bit they seem to be similar to the Blackjack and Cyclone headers of old. Their drawbacks were thin, easy rusting tubing and hung low for street rash. The ceramic coating should curb the thin tubing issue.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Application Footnote 67: Will NOT fit with C-6 transmission.

Well, I guess that rules them out for my '73 Q-code cats since C-6s were standard with a 351C-4V!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Application Footnote 67: Will NOT fit with C-6 transmission.

Well, I guess that rules them out for my '73 Q-code cats since C-6s were standard with a 351C-4V!!!
If they are indeed the same shape and bends as the Blackjack and Cyclones, then you won't have C6 issues. I did a C6 conversion in my '70 XR7 351C 4V and had no problems...though I did use a B&M cable operated shifter. The standard linkage type may be what's in the way for you.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 5-speed with hydraulic clutch, so I'm not really worried about fitment. More worried about quality / hanging down too low. Though, I remember Jim Stagner had Hooker's on his 70 351C 4v eliminator and they hung pretty low. My Hedman ceramic coated long tubes are fantastic and still look brand new after 10 years, but they are 351c-2v specific.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a 5-speed with hydraulic clutch, so I'm not really worried about fitment. More worried about quality / hanging down too low. Though, I remember Jim Stagner had Hooker's on his 70 351C 4v eliminator and they hung pretty low. My Hedman ceramic coated long tubes are fantastic and still look brand new after 10 years, but they are 351c-2v specific.
Is there any chance of you getting a set of Doug's Headers? Maybe you can call Flowtech to get the measurement from the rearmost bolt hole to the bottom of the header.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any chance of you getting a set of Doug's Headers? Maybe you can call Flowtech to get the measurement from the rearmost bolt hole to the bottom of the header.
Trying to be economical, but I'll consider just about anything. Anxious to get this 408 stroker up and running.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Trying to be economical, but I'll consider just about anything. Anxious to get this 408 stroker up and running.
I thoroughly understand economical. I found a set of awesome headers for a Cleveland 4V on craigslist a couple summers ago. I haven't tried to check fitment (car is at the body shop), but they have 2 inch primaries and 3 1/2 inch 4 bolt collectors. They were painted white, in excellent shape, and only $75. So the deals are out there. If your front suspension is stiff enough, you may not have to worry about road contact.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thoroughly understand economical. I found a set of awesome headers for a Cleveland 4V on craigslist a couple summers ago. I haven't tried to check fitment (car is at the body shop), but they have 2 inch primaries and 3 1/2 inch 4 bolt collectors. They were painted white, in excellent shape, and only $75. So the deals are out there. If your front suspension is stiff enough, you may not have to worry about road contact.
Suspension is quite stiff, I used to Open track the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts