Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received Flowmasters Exhaust System Kit #17273. Flowmaster lists this kit to only fit 1964-1/2 to 1966 Mustang. I ordered the kit for my 1967 Cougar after talking to Summit Racing and Flowmaster. They were not sure if it would fit.

I have not installed it yet however, the tailpipe hangars and brackets fit in the existing 2 holes in the frame on either side on the gas tank. The muffler hangars require only drilling 2 3/8" holes on each side of the rear seat pan and the contour/curves of the tail pipes seem to fit just fine. I believe the kit will work great

The kit comes with 2 1/2' mandral bent pipes, hangars/clamps, 40 Series Delta Flows, and a front H-Pipe up to the headers/ exhaust from the manifold. The last approximately 2 feet of the tailpipe are stainless steel withn angle cut tips. They look like they will extend approximately 1-1/2 inches beyond the rear valance.

If members would like I will be glad to take pictures of the installation as steps are completed along with the final installation.

Diagram pictures of the system are below.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
pics sound like they would be cool. go for it and let us all know if they fit like they should, i know this question has been asked before and im sure wed all like an answer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am on a Jury Trial until early June but I might have time on the weekends to start it. I will take plenty of pictures.

Don

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Don, do a good right up on the fit, take good pix and give it a rating of 10, and then send it to Logan. If he likes the review, or thinks it's a good topic and worthwhile project for 67/68 Cougars, it just might make it in the reviews. Im not sure how he accepts them so you'd need to ask him how he would like it written and set-up. But worth a shot, and what was the price.

Rick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Summit Racing's price is $319.00, but i think Mustangs Unlimited has it for under $300.00. I got it from Summit because they had it listed to fit 1967-73 Cougars on their Web site. They said they would take it back and pay the shipping if it did not work, so I took the bait!!

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
im not sure but>.....

You might want to talk to some of the tech advisors at the classic cougar network but remember reading that mustang pipes will not clear certian items on the cougar, as usual. try cascade classics and i am sure that they will be able to give you the skinny.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
71-73 Cougars have a slightly longer wheelbase than the cousin Mustangs, so you might need to add two inches or so in front of the mufflers so that the tailpipes fit right over the rear axle. Also, Cougar tailpipes are about six inches longer than Mustangs. I bought a set of Mustang tailpipes once since Cougar pipes weren't available and I had to add a section in so the turndowns would go all the way to the rear valence instead of ending five inches short.

What the difference is in the earlier years I'm not 100% certain, but I'd bet that they are longer than the corresponing Mustangs as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts