Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if the floor pans listed on some sites are compatible for both models when looking at a 69 convertible or a hardtop coop I found that there was a listing of a floor pan for the convertible specified versus the coop was a floor plan for the mustang as well I want to know if you can use the listed floor pan for the coops a full long pan will it fit in the convertible as it looks similar from the photosBoth my convertible and the Coop are both 69 base modelAlso I wanted to know the listing shows a reinforcement panel for the convertible where this is situated on the car as I had not seen it is it below the existing floor pan

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Convertibles have an extra rocker panel on the inside of the passengers compartment. The coupe floor panel could be made to work but would requite you to trim off about 2 inches the full length of the panel. Then welding a flange back on. You would be hours of work ahead getting the correct ones.
The reinforcement panel should have been on your convertible from the factory. It would consist of a right hand, left hand and a removable center section. It adds a ton of rigidity to the unibody. It should be located on the underside under the front seats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks That really helps out a lot I needed someone to explain that to me, I figured it should have some reason why they have a pan for the convertible separate and pans for coupes , though I have both cars , both are not stripped down with seats out so hard to see the pans and their dimensions. Another quick question for you when I bought the car the frame rails underneath were re-welded with a stainless steel capping over the original frame rails. They did a messy weld but I think this was an every day driver car so done to keep it on the road. I have seen online what looks to be replacement frame rails but not positive if it’s the ones I’m talking about would you say it’s something that should be or could be redone. I haven’t had that car on the hoist in a long time so I haven’t had a good look at it I’ve owned this car for about 20 years and drove it as a weekend driver for the first few years then decided to start restoring it had all the front end all apartAnd started correcting some rotted sections replaced shocks brakes etc. then had kids and everything sat unfinished for sometime now my kids are older and I’m revisiting my old projects happy to get them done and maybe pass it down to my son and daughter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts