Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have any advice on replacing floor pans(methods)? Also, was wondering if anyone knows of a reputable vendor that sells good repros........i heard that mustangs unlimited's pans were'nt very good.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I've only dealt with Mustangs Unlimited for panels. The ones that I got from them fit well and were good, thick metal.
If you go to the Vendors section of this site I'm sure you can find some others that supply floor pans.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Floor pan fitment

The problem with the selection of floor pans for our Cats is that the aftermarket vendors seem to use the same stamping. I believe they use 64-68 Mustang floors as their universal, one size fits all part. The problem is that the reinforcing ribs are not correct for later year cars. I'm not too sure about the 69/70s, but they require some heating-and-beating to fit the subframe in my 71-73s. The floors themselves fit fine, its just that the reinforiing ribs (or floor drain channels if you prefer), are 'longer' on the replacement panels than what is needed in my 73s. I had to beat the ribs flat so I could fit and weld the floors to the front subframe rails.

Whatever you do, have them welded in with a MIG welder. It will give you the strongest, neatest looking welds with minimal 'cleanup grinding' afterwards. I have a buddy with a plasma cutter and a mig welder, so I let him work his magic. We used to either braze or gas-weld our replacement panels in, but that's not nearly as strong and doesn't look as nice when you're finished, not to mention that it is a PITA to do without weat warping something!

Have fun!

Cougrrcj

1 - 3 of 3 Posts