Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for any one who can help me with the replacement and stiffing of the body of a 1971 convertible. The pans I ordered seem to be different than the origionals. Are there different pans for the convertible mobels? Where is the best place to ge quality replacements? I would appreciate any help or ideas.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I dont know about converts being different, but I know there is a little diff in the 71-73's. I just put in a full drivers side pan in a 73 stang and we got the pan from Mustangs unlimited and was very please with the way it fit. It was specific to the 71-73's. mm

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
71-3 floor pans

I'm glad they're finally reproducing pans for the 71-73s. The earlier floors will work, but you'll have to do some heat-and-beat. The only real difference is the ribbing channels/drain channels. While you're doing the floors, have you looked into the condition of the inner rockers? Those are the frame carry-through for strengthening the convertibles, reducing flex etc. A buddy of mine also installed homemade frame connectors out of square tubing in his convertible just to stiffen it more.

MM,
Of course the floors for a convert are different -- Convertibles have the added inner rocker panel so the floors need to be trimmed on the outer edge and another flange bent to mate to the inner rocker panel. The rocker sticks into the passenger compartment about 2", but I'm not sure of the exact dimension.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Milo, thats kinda what I thought, but its sounds like a simple mod even better since they do make the 71-73 floor pan. I dont think they make a special convt pan, at least I didnt run into one while looking for the one we got. I still couldnt find the rear pan under the seat either and ended up makeing a panel for the Mustang were finishing up now. What a pita with all the bends required for it. mm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts