Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been having a problem with my carb , i notice when starting the car that gas comes out from the 2 holes of the carb and i was told it was due to a stuck float

Ive tapped it alot of times with a hammer and gas still keeps coming out those 2 holes no matter how many times i tap it

i rebuild the carb 6 months ago , i dont know if maybe when i put the float back in that maybe i did something wrong , im not to sure

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Holley carb?

In any case you might have to pull the float and clean the needle and seat, or replace the float. Or adjust the float level properly.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
^^ yepper - I bet it's an Autolite huh.....try turning it upside down and shake the crap out of it a few times before you put it back on. they get hung up easy when dry for some reason. The floats high because it's set wrong or hung up somehow.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
...Or the float either got water/fuel-logged (plastic float) or developed some corrosion that caused a hole (brass float).

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok well im not sure whats wrong , but the carb was taken apart and i noticed that the flat was stuck so i fixed it and kept moving it up and down to make sure it didnt stick and everything was fine , but when i went to go put it back on my car today and i did put gas into the 2 holes of the carb and then started the car and still gas was back out of the 2 holes

The first time i started the car the gas came out of the carb immediately but then after pumping the carb a few times and then waiting a bit to start the car , the gas still came out the holes but it seemed to take a extra couple seconds more then the first time for the gas to come out

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
It's not adjusted correctly or hanging up still.....check the level of the float when it properly seated (i.e. needle closed position and float tang resting on the needle) They are not the easiest carbs to rebuild...

my guess is you need to bend the tang outward a bit (so it shuts off earlier/lower level) (Shake the float and be sure it's not filled with gas first)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts