Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not positive what is exactly wrong with my car but for some reason when im idling in park or at a light or whatever my lights on the dash and my headlights and probably rear lights flicker to the point that it gets lighter and then a second later it gets a little darker and it keep doing it and doesnt stop from brighter to not as bright then back to bright almost like i keep turning the dimmer from lighter to darker

Could that be something like the alternator or does that sound more like loose wires or something else , ive had this problem since i first bought the car but i didnt worry about it till now

·
Registered
669 Posts
For a simple answer it's either the voltage regulator if you still have a mecanical one or possibly the light switch itself. That's all I can give you with the info we have so far

·
Registered
439 Posts
It was my loght switch on my 70.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Check your engine-to-chassis ground. If you have replacement battery cables you probably don't have an engine-to-chassis ground. The factory Neg battery cable had a lug in the middle of it that bolted to one of the voltage regulator mounting screws. For aftermarket cables, I run a separate cable from the block ground to the chassis. This 'extra' cable not only helps with flickering lights, but also helps with starting and chanrging

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Check your engine-to-chassis ground. If you have replacement battery cables you probably don't have an engine-to-chassis ground. The factory Neg battery cable had a lug in the middle of it that bolted to one of the voltage regulator mounting screws. For aftermarket cables, I run a separate cable from the block ground to the chassis. This 'extra' cable not only helps with flickering lights, but also helps with starting and chanrging

x2 - eliminate the ground gremlins first then move on to replacing regulator, switch if need be.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does this wire from the neg side of the battery to the voltage regulator mounting screw apply to the 69's as well. I've checked the factory electrical assembly manual and really can't tell if its there.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Does this wire from the neg side of the battery to the voltage regulator mounting screw apply to the 69's as well. I've checked the factory electrical assembly manual and really can't tell if its there.
No, that was a change for the 1970 model year. A 1969 will have a ground strap on the passenger side from the engine to the firewall close to the heater.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts