Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would a 68 std. with a 302 2v and a c4 have used the 168 tooth flexplate?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Flexplate

The 68 302 uses the 157 tooth flexplate, assuming you have an automatic. Be careflu though, the 68 flexplate is thinner than 69 and newer. I put a new one on my car and cringed at the noise whenever I started it. I found out later about the thickness difference. I ordered a new one from Macs Antique Autos. I think they are out of NY somewhere. But they had the correct flexplate. Around $65.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, my AOD finally shipped, so I'll be installing it. I was just asking because I had heard the AOD and the large bellhousing c4 flexplate would interchange so if it was the 168 tooth deal I could get out of changing the flexplate. Not that big a deal though since my motor was ballanced to the 50 oz imballance anyway during the rebuild, so any old 5.0 plate will work. If anyone out there drag races late model 5.0's, I do have a 50 oz c4 flexplate now for cheap though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, do I have to change the starter too to go from 157 teeth to 168?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
It's 164 tooth but who's counting.

When you use the 164 tooth you have to have the larger bellhousing. Starter interchanges. THe AOD, as you know, has
the larger 164 tooth bellhousing. Flexplates are available new for around $11 if you know the wholesalers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts