Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im picking up a 93 302 h.o. motor for the cougar to install up to a 73 c4 trans so my question if the 93 flexplate came from a c4 or aod will that bolt right up to the older c4 tranny??

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
So im picking up a 93 302 h.o. motor for the cougar to install up to a 73 c4 trans so my question if the 93 flexplate came from a c4 or aod will that bolt right up to the older c4 tranny??
Be careful to make sure the bellhousing on the C4 is the right size. There are 157 tooth and 163 tooth flywheels. The bells have to match the size.

·
Registered
708 Posts
You'll need to have the C4 flex plate rebalanced to match the balance of the 93 HO flex plate.
Take them both to a balance shop and and have it done. They welded a piece of steel to my C4
flex plate and drilled out material until it matched the balance characteristics of the HO flex
plate.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can buy the correct balance flexplate - it's a matter of the right size to fit the housing. Keep in mind your motor is internally balanced (28 oz) and older stuff is exteranally balanced (50 oz). If you buy a new flexplate...

http://bmracing.com/?wpsc_product_category=ford-flexplates

1 - 4 of 4 Posts