Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now since the weather is getting a little warmer i was wondering how i might fix my vents inside my car. like the one's at my feet work fine, but the one's on the dash don't work at all. the controls on the left side work (well as far as i know, the levers go up and down) but no air comes out. would anyone know how i might fix this?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
the heater and vent controls are operated by cables and levers, so id check those first to see if they are binding or if the levers themselves are rusted shut. i would start there and see whats up. do you have factory AC btw?

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you do have factory AC, it could be a leak in the line from the engine or a loose line under the dash. There are 6 or 7 vacuum lines under the dash, some of them going to multiple connections so a vacuum leak, a bad vacuum motor, or just a loose line can give you problems. If you have factory AC, get the vaccuum book for you car, it makes troublshooting those lines easy.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i have... ehm had factory AC, i took it out cause it wasn't working too good, and it was just something else that was running on the engine. so yea i'll check that out. where might the cables and levers be? like in the dash or in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Look on the passenger side of the engine compartment behind the wheelwell. there should be a vacuum canister with a single vacuum line going to it. make sure it is connected and does not have any cracks in it. My 67 had a cracked hose to this canister and the controls did not work. I fixed the line and now they work.. my.02

Don

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok now there's two can looking things. i'll get a picture up a little later, but there's one that goes strait through the fire wall then there's one that i think runs tubes through it. which is which

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Ok ... I just went out and looked at mine.... The can is actually in the right front wheelwell and the vacuum lines are in the engine bay there is a small line and a larger line going to it. the small one goes to the heater/AC control.... I think...

Don

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
That's the one !!! make sure it has no leaks and the hoses are good

Don

·
Registered
588 Posts
Two lines is correct. The can in the fender apron is a vacuum reservoir just for the AC vacuum motors. First see if the can is holding a vacuum, sometimes they rust through. The small line going into the firewall goes to the AC controls, where the signal is routed to the various vacuum motors. (The other line in the firewall goes to the check valve in the heater hose line.)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Well there Ya go!!

DON

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok cool, now i have this tube that runs from the a/c heater control valve thing that wvcat said :

ok now would that cause the thing not to work? and if it makes the vents work then where does it get plugged in?

also if you look at the right side of the can, sorta cut off by the can, but it runs strait through the firewall, there looks like there's one or two spots for tubes to connect to, what goes into that?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
See posts on the pics...
Don

·
Registered
588 Posts
That first pic shows a T-fitting, if one hose goes to the vacuum can and the second to the manifold, that third side should have a cap on it because otherwise you do not have any vacuum being developed in the car, it is just sucking in air. You should have one line from the manifold to the vacuum can and a second line from the can to inside the passenger compartment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts