Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We (my family) currently own a '68 Mercury Cougar GT (my dad is trying to sell it, but im trying to get him to give it to me and he can sell my truck instead, anyway). Its been sitting in the driveway for about a year and its developed a *small* leaking problem. The trunk is the wosrt part, and the cab leaks a little bit.

Any suggestions on how to seal this up? And there is mold and small amounts of fungi starting to grow out of the carpet, the car is exellent condition with the expetion of this small moisture problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
only thing i can think of is that theres rust holes so you might want to just buy new floorpans or fix the floorpans either way your proably going to have to pull the apulstry out and put it back in and the new floorpans would be easier especially if the holes near the corner

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it possible that it is a leak in the roof? Id rather seal up a window or the roof then pull up the carpet :( .

·
Registered
70 Posts
wheres the mold at should be the question i bet if its through the weather stripping it pretty easy better than takeing of the headliner or carpet

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mold in the trunk is all over. In the cab there is some small fungi starting to grow on the floor near the passenger seat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
have you taken it to a car wash lately? beacause it could have been forced through the weather stripping so roll up the windows all the way as tight as they go without breaking them and grab a hose and a pressure sprayer and spay with the water all the way up and spray around the door and door seam then grab a few paper towels or towels wipe off the edges (so water dosnt get in that way) open the door and check the inner seam and see if water got in

but if it didnt your going to need some ramp and jacks and start spraying about an hour or so after you sprayed the window and start spraying and check to see if it wet

if its wet your in a world of troble and expenses

hope it helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*sigh* Ok ill spray it down this weekend. What should I do about the mold/fungi?

And if I do find a leak what do i do about it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
okay there are two choices pay or pay less but have to learn something in very little time

the first i dont like because i dont like autobody mechanics but that was because it was a crappy place and they ripped the fabric it wasnt my car but it was going to be mine but i decided i would save and they also dont really specialize in older cars they really messed up my dads el camino :angryfi: :angryfi: and it was a pretty nice car and needed a little work but it would have been mine

so i think i would chose the fix it your self but thats just me

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
On the front leak you need to do the cowl test. Dump a bucket of water down thru the cowl (grill by the bottom of the windshield) and it should come out behind the rear tires not on the carpet. If that checks out check the floor pan for rust that could be wicking the moister up thru. Its also posible its the heater core or evaporator if the ac has been run. (if equiped) In the trunk it is most likely either around the rear window or under the vinyl roof if it has one. Look at the top and around the rear window for bubbles in the paint or vinyl. The drip channels above the doors are also a popular place for the rust monster to appear.
Good Luck
John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, so far I'll do the cowl test before i spray the whole car down. How would i check the floorpan? Sorry about all the questions, im fairly new to cougars and dont want to screw anything up ;) .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was also told that steam cleaning the carpet would be wise after i seal the leak, is this safe to do? Or is there a simpler way to do it that doesnt require me renting a steam cleaner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just talked to my dad about the leak. He said that the small window could be slipping down some, I'll have to check that out. Is this a common problem?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
One way to check the floor pan is to get under the car and look at it. aAnother way would be to pull the carpet up and check the inside. If you pull the carpet up and check it, I'm sure you will find at least surface rust then you won't be able to sleep at night until you go ahead and pull the carpet out and paint the floor with por 15(superpaint) You could avoid all this by just dropping the cougar off at my house....lol
John
wvcat

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
just give me the car. im not afraid to cut large holes into a car and weld them back together. :D ill strip the interior too in short order he he he.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Two ways to get rid of the mold. Pour some bleach (a little bit) into some water and use a cloth to wipe down the surfaces in the trunk. Find a mold inhibitor carpet cleaner to do the carpet. Make sure to do a thorough job on the carpet. Mold will destroy stuff like that. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Also if you can, get it in dry storage an dry it out. If you live in a wet climit the car will get condensation in it. That in is self can cause mold in a car that sits for a long time. If you can't get dry storage then park it on pavement and get a portable canopy to put up over the car. I just gor a 20' x 30' one for under $300. Good luck. that should be a killer cat! Neal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts