Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im back... again...

ive got a 67 xr7 w/ the original 289 and 4sp auto (i think), and im gonna start 'refreshing' the engine, most likely out of the car... any suggestions on where to get parts from for a little more performance than stock? i know its not gonna be terribly fast, but i do want a little punch, since it'll be my new daily driver when its finished... thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
SKRAPPY,
JEGS or SUMMIT RACING are 2 pretty good places for parts. I buy most if not all my performance parts thru JEGS. It all depends on your budget.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
budget is pretty extended, it just may take a while to finish... :) i hope to make it a very very nice daily driver, and im not in a rush to finish it... how much power is feasible out of the 289 w/o doing anything dramatic ie, Nitrous, supercharger, etc...?

·
Registered
425 Posts
One of the best things you can do with a small block Ford is in the Ford Motorsport catalog. Part #M6049 X303. A set of aluminum small block heads worth up to 60 horsepower out of the box,And 50% lighter than cast iron. They also accept stock Ford Valve train. @$1200 They are a little pricey, But they would make your 289 breathe fire.

·
Registered
433 Posts
You can build it with the 302 rotating assembly. Also, the stock 289 heads aren't so bad with a valve job and some porting, the small cumbustion chamber gives you a good compression ratio but it is in the premium fuel range (at least in my application). That's an issue depending on where you are at.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
premium is about 1.59 right now, depending on what company, but that wont kill me... the car wont be 'ready' for at least a year anyway... any more suggestions?

·
Registered
614 Posts
If going the nitrous route, don't jack it up any further than a 75-100 hp shot. Them li'l small blocks like to rev, but you don't wanna give it an early death. How radical are you thinking about? 400+?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im not going nitrous for sure... as for how much power... id like to see 300-350 and id be EXTREMELY happy... its just going to be a nice commuter, not a racer, but not a beater...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If it was mine, and the motor was strong, here's what I would bolt on for a street motor with the most bang for the buck:
Dual plane intake manifold.
600 CFM carb, vac secondaries.
K&N air filter.
Ford Duraspark electronic dist with Duraspark or MSD-6 box.
8mm wires.
roller rockers.
A mild hydraulic cam.
dual row timing chain.
Windage tray.
Tri-y headers.
2" pipes with Flow master mufflers
If it's an automatic, a shift kit.
Depending on if it sees highway use or is around town only, 3:25:1 or 3.50:1 rearend.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it'll be around town, automatic, and its gonna need a complete rebuild... as far as i know, it hasnt run decently in 10 yrs..

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Same as I said earlier, add a melling oil pump, have the valve seats hardened, if the rockers are not adjustable convert them.
Keep your stock compression.
Use good bearings and rings - only bore the cylinders enough to true them up.
If you want to go crazy - stroke it out to a 347 and install early 351W heads.
Warning: HP is ADDICTIVE! :D

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I should point out that it really depends upon what RPM range you are looking for. SBFs can be built to rev. Some guys don't feel right if they're not pushing 7 grand. I never felt comfortable over 6K. My suggestions are geared more towards a street torque lower RPM range.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i do like high revs, i guess its just exciting to hear the engine really scream... im planning on a mustang buildup after the cougar is done, thats when i want to go all out with the power... i just need something to tide me by (famous last words...)

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
I don't think the reciprocating assembly from a 302 will swing in a 289 block due to longer cylinders on a 289. I recomend you get the 351 HO cam from 1980/87 era and you'll have lotsa cheap go.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Skrappy - If you really want to know what works and what doesn't for your particular app, check out the Ford Muscle tech forum. There are a lot of experienced Ford builders there and it is a very civilized, freindly group. http://www.fordmuscle.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?forum=1&42111
The whole Fordmuscle.com site is a very good place to get info for engine building.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ray said:
I don't think the reciprocating assembly from a 302 will swing in a 289 block due to longer cylinders on a 289. I recomend you get the 351 HO cam from 1980/87 era and you'll have lotsa cheap go.
I have that exact setup. 1968 289 block with 302 rotating assembly. You are right about the 289 pistons. You have to use 302 ones. Just ask the guys when you order the stuff as they know what will work with this application. I have heard about 289 and 302 blocks being different, but someone in this forum, Maybe Royce Peterson, but I can't remember said they were identical. You may even be able to do one of those stroker kits if that is true. Just ask the experts. The guys at Summit and even PAW have never steered me wrong.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
everything sounds great, thanks for the help guys!

·
11,000 Posts
All the 302 stuff fits fine in a 302 or vice - versa. For that matter a 347 stroker assembly fits right into a 289 block. And you can still tell everyone it's just a really good running 289.......

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
haha, i may do that royce...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
That's what we're doing with the 66 Mustang. It will still look like the original 289 with some bolt ons, but will be a 347. Added a set of 69 351-4v heads as well. With the smaller engine compartment it was the way to go!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts