Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I just bought my first 1969 cougar today :D I'm in Australia so It's one of very few over here...

I've got a few things to do to it (carbies, headers etc...)
But first on the list of things to do is upgrade the brakes. They require ALOT of pressure to activate and it's near impossible to lock the wheels (not that it's desirable of course)

Is there a common/effective way to upgrade the brakes on these things?

I'm sorry if this has been asked 100 times before :S
Cheers guys :)

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Code Blue, your Cougar appears to be a Sport Special.

Lots of choices, I like to use the factory 1970 disc brakes on my conversions. Added them to both my 1968 Cougar and Mustang.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply CJ, What makes you say it is a sport special? I dont really know much about these cars yet. I think it's got a 351W in it but im not sure.

Are the 1970 discs a big improvement?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh i feel like an idiot now, i went and had a good look at my brakes and saw that i already have disc brakes on the front, YAY!
They are still extremely poor performing so maybe i need to get them and/or the booster serviced?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
How poor is poor performing? Is the master cylinder full? Is the brake pedal extremely hard to push? It could be just pads and shoes, or it may be just waaaaay out of adjustment.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i basically can't get the wheels to lock no matter how hard i push the pedal when the road is dry. Not that i want to lock the wheels of course, but it just shows that the brakes are not capable to applying much pressure.

I can't see my original post in this thread for some reason, with the pics. can everyone else see it? It says cougar Cj was the #1 post...

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I can't see my original post in this thread for some reason, with the pics. can everyone else see it? It says cougar Cj was the #1 post...
No, can't see it either. Just the title of the thread. John

·
Registered
223 Posts
I can't see your original post either. Whats more is if I look at a list of all your posts there are two threads started with the exact same tittle but the post numbers are different. post 498789 and post 49884. Neither show your original post. Not knowing any better I would guess you double posted aka started two threads on the same subject and a mod merged the threads and something went wrong? Back to the subject at hand. I have a 67 289 car with power disc brakes and it stops like an SOB. Could not ask for better brakes for street use. I have no experience with big block cars or the affect of going to single piston calipers (68) verses four piston calipers (67) as on my car. I'm sure the added weight of the big block would hurt braking performance some but not enough to cause poor braking performance. If it did Ford would have done something to overcome the deficiency.

Bill

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
This is what I see on my computer.

Hi all,
I just bought my first 1969 cougar today :D I'm in Australia so It's one of very few over here...

I've got a few things to do to it (carbies, headers etc...)
But first on the list of things to do is upgrade the brakes. They require ALOT of pressure to activate and it's near impossible to lock the wheels (not that it's desirable of course)

Is there a common/effective way to upgrade the brakes on these things?

I'm sorry if this has been asked 100 times before :S
Cheers guys :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I talked to my cousin who has a 68 big block car with power disc and he said the brakes have plenty of stopping power. You have a booster or hydraulic problem most likely. Frozen wheel cylinders, metering valve problem etc. Could also be cheap pads or shoes.

Bill

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers guys,
My mechanic says i need the master cylinder re-sleeving, and a small parts kit for the front calipers. So i'm getting him to do that and we'll see how we go :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts