Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time Cougar owner here, but been admiring for some time. Been looking for a project the past few months and just happened across a 67 coupe that I couldn't pass up. Picked up the couger below for a relatively decent price.

Car has a pretty decent engine, suspension, and exhaust setup. Previous owner had the engine (non-original 302) rebuilt with cam, complete new suspesion, rebuilt power steering system, newer tires/rims, and brand new flowmaster exhaust (sounds sweet!). Car drives very solid. Fender supports and bumper supports are all straight and solid.

The not so good...
Body needs some work as there is bubbling in areas from previous body work, although it doesn't look to serious. Both front floor pans will need to be replaced (see below). Wheel wells look intact, although one is starting to show some rust. Trunk is in good shape. Both frame rails will need to be replaced, took some good hits in the past. The inner engine bay where the hood hinges attach has been patched (poorly) in the past and will need to be fixed. The interior is tired and worn out, so it needs to be replaced. Previous owner was kind enough to include a carpet and underlayment kit and a headliner kit.

Plan is to strip car down to frame, repair rust areas, floor pans, and any other body issues, then build it back up. Not going for original, will customize as we go along. Car will be summer car, show car, etc.

Here are some pictures:

Interior shot, definitely not original seats:

Side picture. Tires hit fender on big bumps, will need to correct that:

Engine bay. Will need to be stripped for sure:

One of the hood hinge connections. Someone welded the heck out of it previously, will need to figure out how to repair this.

Drivers floor pan is rotted out above torque box. Torque box doesn't appear to have much rust (will still be replaced). Appears that the lever for the window wash was leaking for a long time and caused this issue.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This will be the workplace for this project. One of the current cars will go into the 14x28 shop that is attached to this garage.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Well you wanted a project :) I am totally scared of rust issues. Looked a long time to find something that was rust free. Then after have the car painted, don't think it would have been much more if it would have had some rust here and there. Sounds like the good outweighs the bad and if you take your time specially if you can do body work, I have never tried, you are going to end up with a sweet cat!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Nice project! You might want to run some water in the cowl area to check for leaks there also. good luck

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice project! You might want to run some water in the cowl area to check for leaks there also. good luck
When I picked it up, it was about a three hour drive home. It was pouring rain half the time and I had my eyes glued to the floorboards. Probably why the wife said I was swerving all over the place... :)

The cowl risers in my 65 mustang were virtually destroyed, so this will definitely be an area for review.

I don't have a lot of experience with metal replacement and body work, but if I can build a Cobra roadster, I "hope" I can figure this out.

Have a 120v mig welder that can use gas, will need to start practicing!

·
Registered
913 Posts
What engine did you use in the Cobra?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What engine did you use in the Cobra?
351w, 400hp/tq. Ordered it from Engine Factory on east coast. Awesome engine, mated up to a super duty T5 (rated 600hp) and 3.55 rear, car is a handful.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Are you looking at hot rodding the cougar? Someday I might build a hot rod. Right now I want to put my cat back together as close to factory as I can. With our current weather I am mostly just thinking about stuff not working on much!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you looking at hot rodding the cougar? Someday I might build a hot rod. Right now I want to put my cat back together as close to factory as I can. With our current weather I am mostly just thinking about stuff not working on much!
Somewhat. I won't be going to nuts on the engine or drive train and am not worried about originality. Engine bay will be detailed out and cleaned up, interior will be customized and not original. I am looking for ideas for interior and engine bay right now that are customized (in house fabrication stuff) that is more towards the hot rod style.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Current garage space, one will be going into the attached shop to make room.

Cobra about 5 years ago when completed the build:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cobra or the mustang will be going into the shop attached to the garage. Wish I had more space to store one of the vehicles as it would be nice to have the entire garage for the cougar or the entire shop open for fabrication/work. Oh well...

Attached shop:

Reverse view of shop. You can see the mandoor to the left that accesses the garage.

Another view. Garage is off to the right (attached). Mandoor visible on the right is to the outside, other door to the garage in the pic above is not visible, just outside the pic.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Nice project, welcome abord. Several members of the Cascade COugar Club will be going to the Big Rock Car Show in Duvall in June. You should plan t stop by and meet other Cougar owners. As well we do our show at the XXX Root Beer drive in diner in July.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice project, welcome abord. Several members of the Cascade COugar Club will be going to the Big Rock Car Show in Duvall in June. You should plan t stop by and meet other Cougar owners. As well we do our show at the XXX Root Beer drive in diner in July.
Definitely! I always like events that are in my neighborhood. Lots of great roads in the valley here. There are quite a few Cobra owners locally as well. XXX is a great place, I am about 12 miles from there so cruise-ins are a must during the summer.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I may not be seeing the whole picture here, but why don't you put the Cougar in the single garage and leave the two where they are be?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may not be seeing the whole picture here, but why don't you put the Cougar in the single garage and leave the two where they are be?
The shop is only 13' wide and I have things along both walls, so there is very little room to work. I'd have to clear out some of my storage cabinets and wood racks. The garage has a little more room to work. I do have a carport that I may make room in so I can temporary move one of the other vehicles in to if I want more space in the garage.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Congrats on your new project. When you start needing parts give me a call. Im only an hour south of you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks like you have a really solid project. Your garage is awesome looks like there's plenty of space to work in. Are you planning on keeping the paint? Not sure how I feel about it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts