Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little advice on setting up my brakes on my 68. I have power discs in the front with rear drums (stock). When I first got the car the pedal was really soft. During my restoration I had the Booster rebuilt and I rebuilt the Distribution Block and Proportioning Valve and replaced the Master Cylinder and all brake lines (hard and rubber). My problem is I can't seem to build pressure. I have removed the MC and bench bled it and pushed a big bottle of fluid through the entire system. I checked for leaks and found a small leak on one of the connections at the distribution block but I managed to tighten it and still no luck. I really don't want to pull the MC out again (as much fun as that is standing on your head under the dash) in case I'm missing something easy. Any advice out there from others?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Thanks much, I have really enjoyed being a quiet by-stander up to this point. The information shared on this site has been extremely helpful.<o:p></o:p>
Phil (AKA McClure’s 68)<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

·
Registered
508 Posts
Since basically everything is new and it is a pre existing problem,....my thoughts are that the rod between the brake pedal and the M/C piston is too short and not allowing the pistons/springs to move fluid far enough into the compression chamber of the cylinder. At full compression you should not see a welling/bubbling of fluid in either reservoir...

P.s My aftermarket M/C has a round 1 1/4" long pin that sets in the mating surface between the piston face and the rod end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a feeling I'm going to end up pulling the MC back out to bench bleed it again so I'll check the rod length then. When I sent the booster and MC to be rebuilt I included the rod. When the parts came back I just assumed it was the same rod (maybe not). I kind of hoped that tonight after bleeding the system for the third time and scraping my knuckle till it bled that It was going to work. You know the old saying it doesn't respect you till it makes you bleed. Well still no luck. I'll let you know what I find.
Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just went through this with my 68 GT. If you had the front calibers off for a rebuild or put new ones on make sure the bleeder valve is to the rear, and not UP. The calibers will fit on either side and if the bleeders are not pointed to the rear air is trapped in the top of the piston and the brakes won't bleed.
Wayne

·
Registered
35 Posts
You are correct MrEos. I did have it backwards. The bleeders should point back, not up. I have corrected my original post above.
Wayne

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You may have something here. To answer the questions this is all stock equipment (meaning the car originally came this way) I'm sure after 40 plus years its no longer Ford parts. However the previous owner replaced the front end, A arms, springs, shocks etc so the calibers could be on the wrong side. As I mentioned earlier the pedal was way too soft when I first got the car that is the reason for the rebuild. Attached is a pic of the drivers side. The bleeder points to the 11 oclock postion. Would you consider this top or back? Thanks all!

Victor-20120615-00073.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep, they are on the wrong side. reverse sides and the bleeder valve will be pointed back towards the rear, then you can bleed all the air out of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a perfect Fathers Day activity. I have been dying to get the car out of the garage but didnt want to risk the brand new paint job on nonexistent brakes. I cant tell you how happy I am not to have to pull the MC out yet again. I'll let you know the outcome on Sunday night.
Thanks much!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Good work Wayne C.!!! The caliper bleeder should be pointing straight back toward the rear of the car. Say goodbye to the mushy brake pedal!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A big THANK YOU to Wayne C., 67.5XR7 and Mr EoS for the assistance. I was able to switch the calipers and bleed the brakes on the first try. I would have never figured that one out on my own. What a great Fathers Day treat to get the car out of the garage for the first time since putting it back together. I attached a pic of the car in the back yard. Still needs a headliner, glass installed and interior but with brakes its one step closer to the road.
Thanks again, Victor-20120617-00080.jpg

·
Registered
508 Posts
Very nice looking XR7,....those wheels give it a classic styling that you can't go wrong with.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
YEP - very nice looking cat - now with much better stopping power! ;>) glad you got it sorted out - it's a tough one to find unless you have a stare and compare one sitting next to it!! To bad it's so easy to transpose them....be nice if it was obvious

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to bring up old $h1t but could you guys please look my brakes over as I believe I am in the same boat.

Here is the Driver's Side:

Passenger's:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts