Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It came up in conversation tonight about when the first cougar was sold in the model year.
Any firm data on that?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Well it depends upon what you mean by "sale". A Manufacturere's Statement of Origin, MSO, is the title document from the OEM to the dealer, and the cars were either sold on account or "floored" by the dealer (the inventory financed by a third party (e.g. Ford Motor Credit, etc.). However, I suspect you mean sold to the general public, in which case the unveiling was September 30, 1966 and alot of sales were consumated on that date. Don't know of an official "date in service" (DIS) earlier than that.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So then what was the first recorded delivery? I've always counted 17 Apr 64 as the 'birthday' of Mustang, is there a similar milestone for Cougar, or is it 30 September?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Unless you want to go to Kevin Marti and pay for the research necessary to search the production records for the earliest recorded "sold" date, I don't know another way to find out.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I will just say 30 September, until proven otherwise. The people that I talk with don't know any better, and it really doesn't matter. I knew the Mustang date was 17 Apr 64, and surprised that I didn't know a similar date for cougar.....

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
The Press Release date was September 18th 1966. I believe that this is the date that corresponds to the Mustang

1 - 6 of 6 Posts