Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first classic car. I picked up my 69 Cougar this past summer and am looking to rebuild the motor. Since it is a 351W and it has great potential I was thinking about doing simple rebuild on the bottom end and putting a Edelbrock Power Package 2092 top end kit on It. I'm not looking for a drag car or anything too ridiculous just something with some balls.

Any tips or warnings?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sounds good. Make sure you only use racing oils or zddp additives from now on. Modern oils will kill flat tapped cams quickly.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
That is the cam I have in my 68/289. Free advice, you will need to measure and verify your push rod length and wear pattern on the valve stem. You will also need at least a 3.50 rear end gear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3.50 was what i was planning on putting in, with a limited slip. also rebuilding the FMX and adding a shift kit

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Some frown on that FMX but I had a lot of luck with them back in the day. A bit of weight but a solid tranny that takes well to a shift kit. Took a look at your pics and you got a reallt nice driver there. Good luck on the build.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I have a 3.5 gear in my 68, I think my motor would be happier with a bit more gear. But I'm running an OD trans. With a 3 speed auto you will be on cam all the time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts