Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone shed some light on the meaning of the P, T, B & F stickers found on the firewall? Mine are basically intact, and I'd like to replace them when the repainting is finished, but it would be nice to know what they really mean. Maybe some quality control thing from the assembly line?

·
Registered
215 Posts
decals

they are called" paint ok" markings.
can you describe or send pic,s of them,
placement on the fire wall.
do you have one on the drivers door jam at the hinges

thanks
ks

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to check the photos from before the car went to the body shop, but I know there wasn't one on the door anywhere. If memory serves, there were two on the body color painted area above the firewall. They were about a foot from each hood hinge, and applied as if whomever slapped them on there was reaching in from the side of the car (i.e. canted at 45 degrees or so toward the centerline of the car). Without the photos, I can't recall what the letters were, though...

Fairly sure that one was a "P"- I'll check it out.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Stickers

Not all Cougars had inspection 'stickers' in the engine compartment. Not only the inspection stickers or paint daubs, but even the sheet metal is different! Really!

It all depends on where your Cougar (or Mustang) was built. OK, little history lesson here. Classic Mustangs and Cougars were built in three plants. Easy to tell which yours was built at. Look at your VIN. If the second digit is 'F' your car was built in Dearborn. If it is 'T' it was built in Metuchen NJ. (Unfortunately, I don't see too many San Jose, CA cars around here in Ohio so I am not certain of the code, sorry . )

Look at an original Dearborn car versus a Metuchen car, especially the front fender aprons, and you'll see that the Metuchen cars do not have the 'ribs' on the inner fenders that the Dearborn cars have. Different vendors or stamping plants, different parts!

One plant used paper inspection stickers, others used rubber stamps with paint. be careful. Don't 'cross-plant' your car!

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Thats some good info Catz.I always wondered why my aprons were different on some cars.The "R" is code that is missing and I have two or three "R" cars that are early production and all the rest are"F"One "F" car has the paint OK stamped in yellow ink on the underside of hood above battery.I have no "T" codes but the flat inner appears in my Purple Rocky Mountain XR7 an"F"car as is car with ink stamp.Difference is the ink stamped "F" car is also stamped inner not flat.So to me this means different suppliers.The ribbed one is a lot nicer piece.As for stampings I would like to get a copy of the pix showing the correct positioning of letters for a referrance if you could provideThanks and Catz ya later;)

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Can anyone shed some light on the meaning of the P, T, B & F stickers found on the firewall? Mine are basically intact, and I'd like to replace them when the repainting is finished, but it would be nice to know what they really mean. Maybe some quality control thing from the assembly line?
If you still don't know here is what the letters mean, P-Paint, T-Trim, B-Body & F-Final.

·
Registered
748 Posts
where are they placed? Are they just put on in any direction? How many and where can i get some?

Thanks, YOGI

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not sure about other parts of your question, but I've seen such stickers in the MU catalog (the "Cougar" one)

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Listed on page 110 (MU Cougar, thanks nycougarcat), there part number is DF460- '69-'71 Under Hood Paint OK decal set (I don't see any pictures on the page). I did see a picture of the set at NPD website:www.nationalpartsdepot.com on there Mustang online catalog under decal & stripes on page 222. Click on image to enlarge. Good luck

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I was just back on NPD's website and on page 226 of the Mustang catalog they list the same tags (P,B,T,F) but also include the letter "E" ( I don't know what letter E stands for). These are called "Fire Wall Inspection Tags" for '69-'71 Dearborn Assembled cars only. It also says where they are placed but not specifically by letter.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Remember if you have a Dearborn car (reason for the stickers) and its built before late 70 production if you order the stickers get the ones with the square corners not the rounded ones, or you'll have to trim them to get the square.

Also the originals had the inspectors name (or sometimes a odd shaped punch hole) in the sticker face. The font was small and one of the san serif styles.

Final detail was that there were paper based but not clear coated like most of the other decals (not the battery inspection) so they didn't last long.

Reproductions are often a plastic/vinyl

Hope this helps a little

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Here is the best example I have of the FPBT stickers from a 23 mile totally unmolested/unrestored Cougar. ( Not mine- but I have a lot of pics). It was a Dearborn built car. You will notice that the F, B and T area all RED. Not black like the repro ones offered by MU and others. This will give you some idea of the general location. You will note thay are not neatly placed. Ol' Harry was probably hung over when he slapped them on. In fact, the "T" is almost totally covered by the "B".

My 68 XR-7 Dearborn built Cougar had remnants of the stickers. The "F" is definately on the passenger side, about where the one is in the attached picture - and it too is red. My "P" is black, and about where it is in this pic. My "T" was gone, and my "B" was on the top of the driver's side shock tower - also in red.
http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2559464276/in/set-72157606648089729/

Hope this helps.
Ken

1 - 13 of 13 Posts