Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the firewall insulation hanging down behind the dash (again). Last time I had the dash out, I duct taped what I could reach. The tape held, but the insulation has since further disintegrated :cry:, and I deemed it not worth salvaging. Out came the shop vac, and I sucked most of it out. I presume it is a prerequisite to pull the lower dash and/or the heater box in order to replace the pad with a reproduction. Does this sound correct? Anyone have a recommendation on how to proceed? Does it sound reasonable to cut pieces of my spare package tray insulation, and try to stuff or glue it in behind?

Steve C.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
that stuff is held on by rubber pins or plugs whatever ya want to call them i dont recomend glueing as it will get way messy in a hurry. best thing is to remove the upper dash pad this gives good acess and buy a new one from any of the retailers along with the new plugs i know its a pain in the but but otherwise you will be just doing it again in a couple of months. or just put up with the cold that seams to be my remedy as of late but since im in a heater dealeat car at least for the winter its nice getting that 429 heat over the legs at 2 am.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As it turns out, this insulation is a separate piece(s), independent of the firewall insulation. The destroyed insulation is actually behind the dash and is glued underneath the cowl. It is a fairly detailed part from what I can tell. Since it came out in several pieces, its hard to tell what it originally looked like, and if it started out as one or more pieces. Top to bottom, this insulation starts just below the windshield, and wraps underneath the cowl down to the to of the firewall insulation. Left to right across the dash, there are several brackets, bracket attachment locations, or ducts it had cutouts or relief cuts to accommodate. It has a black plastic (closer to cellophane but thicker) backing material on the compartment side.

I've been talking with Tim Cox at Quietride. He has insulation for the '69-70 Mustang convertible, but nothing for a Cougar. The Mustang parts don't appear to be a even close to the shape this insulation must have been. Does anyone know if a replacement is available?

Steve C.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey you guys! Is it my imagination, or am I the first one to ever have to replace the cowl insulation on their Cougar? If no one knows of a source, I'll have to fashion one myself. The question is how much of the lower dash do I dare remove to get it right?

Steve C.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Steve, I'm sure you aren't the only one. I know for a fact you aren't since I just did mine. Now, the reason I didn't want to reply to this post is because I went the aftermarket route with a place called insulshield. They cater to the street rod market. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.insulshield.net/

Their firewall blanket is really nice stuff and easy to work with. I ran it along the whole firewall as well as down the floor and over the trans tunnel and it ends just before the front seats.

In my case, I had the whole heating and air-conditioning system, and wiring harness/fuse panel out of the car anyway so installation was easy.

This is probably not the route you want to go but an option is you're ambitious.

Mark

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mark. My car is A/C equipped so not much room to work in there. The firewall insulation is in pretty good shape, except for that separate cowl piece. I'd rather not remove the lower dash, but at this point I'm wondering how I'm going to clean the cowl surface of old adhesive, and remnants. If I have to do it, I'll probably replace the firewall piece at the same time.

Steve C.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts