Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,
I have a 68 cougar and I wanted to find out its history. My owners manual has the original owners name and address in it that was issued from the dealer. I tried to find the owners phone number but remember, its 30 years ago! What can I do to find this person. Ive tried US SEARCH on the internet but came up with a blank. What do you guys think I should do? It would be great if the original owner had pics form when she bought it new!!

thanks lithi

p.s In regards to the last post regarding my carburetor issue. I ended up going with an autolite 4bbl 4100 model venturi 108 by pony carb's in NY. they were very helpful. Im also getting a cast iron square bore manifold that will go well with that!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Have you tried contacting the California DMV - some states will provide information to the title holder on past owners. I tried tracing one of my cars here in Virginia and got some information, but then I found that earlier owners were from other states and that's when I dropped the search, at least for now. Anyway, check with the DMV and see if they do these checks and how you go about it. I had to write a letter and include a copy of my title.

Also, if the owner's manual lists the dealer that sold it, you might get lucky and get some information from the dealer, that would be a real long shot, but worth a visit if it's not far away.

Have you tried contacting Phil Parcells, the CCOA database guru? If a previous owner was a club member he or she might have registered the car with the database...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I was also going to suggest Phil, here is his e-mail address, he might know, maybe the PO bought another cat and is listed on their data base. [email protected]

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the car was purchased in seattle wash so I will try to find info by calling the dmv and i will try that email address you gave me. thanks alot and I will keep you posted!!!

lithi

·
11,000 Posts
How to find the original owner

You have the key to finding the original owner. Go to the library in Seattle, they will have thirty year old phone books on microfiche. Find the person's phone number from back then. Also write down the address. If the phone number is no good try going by the address and knock on the door. The folks there might be the parents or landlord or might have bought the house from the owner of the car.

You can see a story of how I found the original owner of one of my XR7-G's (now Mark Eaton's) on the old XR7-G website at:

http://go.webring.yahoo.com/go?ring=cougars&id=35&go

Royce Peterson

·
11,000 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts