Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
heres a good topic to discuss.We all get fortunate now and then to find our cars in driveways,yards,garages.But lets hear some on your stories how you acuired your car.Was it sitting in a field?,a parts car, a donar car for a mustang?And pics would be cool as well.
thanks
pat
1970 standard triple white convertible
1970 eliminator MADCATT(turning it into a pro touring car SUICIDE style)

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Not so rough but a rare sighting

68 - my wife drove passed car yard filled with Jap imports and saw it. Came home and said - "there's a COugar sitting in a yard at Underwood" - to which I replied "0h yeah - right, a Cougar in a yard in Oz" - after being married for 25 years I should have known better
69 - found in auto trader and waited for price to drop
70 - got a phone call from someone who knew I would be silly enough to pay his price to get hold of a 428 Xr7 convert with ram air
Other finds include XR7 GT - casual conversation with Mopar owner who said - "I've got one of them in my shed" (remember this is in Oz

·
Registered
44 Posts
family member went to jail....he didnt really need the car after that

·
Registered
75 Posts
ROUGH CARS

If you get a chance - and want to see some "rough cars" - including some cougars

check out

http://carsinbarns.com/

not for the faint hearted

<lol>

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
428 Xr7 convert with ram air!!!! Leon. thats a too awesome, yes.

LOLOLOOLOLOLOLOL - scrappy

cool site (oh the humanity)

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
bought my first on a fluke was looking for a mustang for my son to drive to sc and found a pretty red xr7 70. loaned it to my nephew when he was down on his luck and he thrashed it then his b**** of a mother DONATED it to some scrapprogram for a tax right off. no good deed goes unpunished i guess. I then bought as 65 tbird and restored it and sold it as was looking for another car and wife saw in the paper a 69 cougar vert. Went and looked at he and all they were asking was 3000.00 she was rough but nothing i couldnt fix with time i paid 2300.00 when all was said and done and it was a 70 but dmv says it is a 69. My XR7 had been parked for months outside of the texaco gas station and i apraoched the owner about subscibing to TCCN and inform him of this site and he wasnt interested. 3 months later i see a 69 xr7 on ebay for 910.00 and it is located in the hi desert so i wrote the guy for pictures and low and behold it is a this perfect straight 69 with decent 20/20 paint on it and one nicely built motor. i sniped it and was there to pick it up before he even new it was sold. My 68 i found from a freind who said a freind of his had two cougars and they were gte's or something so imediatly my heart skipped and adrenalyne started to pump. turned out one was a 67 Gt and way beyond saving to much rust (yes cars do rust here no mater what i might try to say) and just was to far gone to save really hated seeeing her go to the crusher but i did save everything of value off her but here was this pretty 68 straight as an arrow no vynal top and with only a little rust in the rear quarters plus the guy had two origanal wheels in great shape with center piecews several doors hoods and bumpers a complete other front end grille in good shape and rear and door glass as well as consoles and remenants from other cars. i got it all for 275.00. My 57 Tbird was a story untoo itself. wife wanted a new one till sticker shock took over. I said for that money she could own a real bird so i started looking and thought i would only find a basket case for the money i had. My father calls me up knowing im looking and tells me down by him a guy in chino is selling a 57 bird HT for 15500.00 right up my alley. I took the day off work called the guy every hour and was first to arrive. Took it for a test drive and it ran like a raped ape. needed some body work but very pleasing car that always gets a thumbs up i got it for my 15000.00 which in baby bird land is a killer price.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
great deal on the t-bird, i love those old birds (55-57). I used to work at a t-bird restoration shop for a while back in my 20's,
like the 58-60 too and the 62 sport roadsters. those 312's run real strong. bizzare engine. i liked the ones with the 4:11 and over-drive. bad part was they were customers cars but the good part was, i wasnt paying the bills on it.

allrightythen

a friend of mine in high (1979) school had a 70 cougar and ever since i just had to have one,

i found my 70 xr7 the world wide web at desert valley auto in phoenix for $2000.
found the 70 std parts car first in the local paper, like a year prior to the xr7. $400
the 65 galaxie 500 i found in the local paper. $1200
i found the 66 ltd by just driving by it and rcogizing the profile through the weeds, $400
found the 66 galaxie parts car in the local paper. $200

my wife freaks out every time she haers my say "oh oh oh oh, look at .............."

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
found my 69 SS through my aunt who worked with a guy who was looking to sell it. it was his aunts car but she passed away and left it to him. it had been sitting for a while but he got it road worthy again with the intent of fixing it up. then his wife got sick so he had to sell it for medical bills. i got ahold of it for $3000 ( a little much but i was younger and dumber ) and it is still mine to this day.

my 70 parts car has been cronicled on this very site.. lol... its under a thread thats somewhere around here.. long story short... i found it abandoned in a Pizza Hut Parking lot and went through alot of crap trying to legally aquiring it. i wanted to fix it up and all but thoughts of it were blinding me as to how much work the car would really need. so i parted it out after paying $100 for it after it had its stay in the local tow yard. ( got it on lein sale )

im looking for another 69 Project car as of now though... might take a 67/8 though too... prefer a 69... running... white interior... little rust as possible and driving... oh yeah.. i dont want to spend more than 1000 ... yes, it is possible....

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heres my contribution

Well where do we start lol..
the 70 convertible was my fathers exboses car.He use to use it quite a bit but i never thought i would own it.Back around 1981 -82 the car got sideswiped and was repaired and repainted.In 1986 the cars body started showing some signs of wear n tear.The floors were on there way out, the engine started knocking, the rearend was sagging,needed a front end rebuild.So it sat in a warehouse for 3 yrs untouched.Then i was getting close to getting my licence and had purchased a 68 SS chevelle that needed alot more work then i had imagined.So i was determined to make it MY car.So when i purchased it n it sat in my garage, my father told me he had bought me a 70 cougar convertible.Now here i am thinking 70 cougar i thought it was the 74-79 size car i said"no thanks ill fix up the chevelle" as soon as i seen the car that he had bought and it was the one from my fathers ex boss, i called up the kid that i bought the chevelle from n told him to get it out of here i got me a cougar convertible.And still have it to this day.
As for the 70 eliminator well that was a considence.I was talking to Mark Piechowski about his cougar eliminator 1 day and he told me of another 70 eliminator that the guy wanted to sell.Well Mark went and took pictures of it and emailed them to me.So i liked what i seen and called the guy up.He didnt know what to ask for it so he thought of asking 2,800 for it.I said ok, then it dawned on me,here i was in RI and heres the car in FL(at the time i was living in RI).So i let it pass, about a month later he calls me back saying he will take 2,000 for it.I said ok , i was moving so i went and flew down here in march and gave the guy a deposit and by the end of may i owned a 70 eliminator.The history of this car is in 1 of the pictures i have posted.I dont wanna add any more text cause i think i spoke enough here lol...
thanks
pat
1970 standard triple white convertible
1970 eliminator MADCATT(turning it into a pro touring car SUICIDE style)

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
72 was in an auto sales place, I cought a glimpse of it out the corner of my eye but said nothing to my husband, then later on that evening I mentioned it and we went and had a look, had no idea what a cougar was, were'nt even looking for a car, but we do love old cars, anyway my first impression was that it was uuuugly, all that chrome, and metallic [bright] purple. Went home and scoured the net, got to this forum, as a 'guest' checked out all the pictures, saved tons of them, and then we went back and looked at her, after about 2 weeks we got the guy to start her, we were hooked, but did'nt have the money, eventually we got the money, went charging off to the auto place, but the guy had gone out of town for the weekend, we virtually camped outside the place till he came back, gave him the cheque and drove off.
Months later, [like 4 weeks ago] I was searching the net for pictures of a 34 Chevy, for a friend of ours, by total fluke I got to a local website [by local I mean in my country - its was 500 miles away] and while reading what was owned I came across an ad for a 69 cougar, now finding cougars here is even more rare than Leon finding cougars in Oz, anyway phoned the guy but his number had changed, tracked him down and offered him a lower price, still having to work out how we were going to pay for it, he accepted but was going out of town for 2 weeks, phoned me about 10 days ago to say he was back, we went up last weekend, got there Friday night, drove her home Saturday morning, she was a 70 not a 69 but who cares.
No one can believe the thrill it is to say, 'yeah, its a mercury cougar, she's mine, my husband has also got one' :D

BTW, I was dying to tell you guys about the 70 but I'm superstitious, did'nt want to say something and then not get it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
well i was leaving a car show with my friend and his dad, and we were talking about a car for me. and so we're driving home and we pull up to a stop light, and see parked in a 7-11 parking lot my white cougar. and my friends dad was like, " hey what about that one, its for sale" so i was like yea i'd love to. so we pull in and the price was $2600, so we go in and found out it was a guy that worked there's car. so we talk to him for a while, and i get to drive it around the block for a few secs and i love it instantly. i pretty much knew that i was going to get this car. so then we talk to the guy and get him down to $2100 and so then the next day i picked it up. and have been loving it ever since :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Got mine via the NJ justice system. As in, the dude who built it did it with his father, father died, kid got into drugs, sold car for drug money, then got caught. So, picked up the IC for pretty cheap, I guess. Father and son were big fans of those 'piggyback' connectors, when they used any at all. Cleaned up the electrical system a bunch, cleaned up some welds on the rollcage, and here we are. Woo!

Don't get me wrong, there's still a bunch to do.:(

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
"Other finds include XR7 GT - casual conversation with Mopar owner who said - "I've got one of them in my shed" (remember this is in Oz"

Leon, what happened to the XR7 - GT?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts