Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I broke the decision inertia and made the first step forward on my 1969 standard Cougar project. The general plan was for a stroked 351W, a 5 speed, handling suspension and 17" wheels.

Today I placed a down payment on my new engine. Its going to be a 427ci Windsor with forged crank, rods & pistons, CNC ported aluminum heads, a big custom spec hydraulic roller cam and lots of other good stuff like a road race pan, windage tray, main girdle, etc. The engine will be delivered complete minus accessories, air filter and headers in about 90 days. I'm pretty jazzed about getting this process started. And I fully expect that this engine is going to be a beast. :evil:

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I'm going to be following this thread very closely. My 69 just came out of paint. I'm trying to hurry up and get the engine built, so I can maybe DRIVE it to Colorado, for the move!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
We may call you Ford Ed if you continue down this path! ;>) Sounds like you are going the resto-mod route! COOL! Keep us posted

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After a little consideration of overall driveability, I've decided to back off to a 408 at a loss of about 50hp. It should be pretty much the same stuff just a little milder set up.

I think I'll stick with Pontiac Ed. In my history Pontiacs out number Fords 13 to 8. 11 of the Pontiacs were 1961 to 1968's. Only 4 of the Ford were vintage, all 1969 & 1970's, 3 Cougars and an F-100.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update time

Well luckily the engine shop keeps working while I'm sidetracked preparing the Torino Cobra to put in storage until the previous owner can figure out if he will be able to take the car back and actually make some progress on it. It finally goes to storage tomorrow afternoon.

Anyway, the engine shop says the machined block and balanced rotating assembly is about 2 weeks out and we need to order the TKO600 kit so we can get the flywheel over there for balancing. They tell me the 408 should be zero balance. So far so good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts