Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just wanted to put up a video of my cougar. Just got it fully registered and insured and is now a legal driving car. still alignment needs to be done and some tuning but for the most part she runs strong. eager to see what she can do but have to wait for the motor to break in. only got about 40 miles on the rebuild. its a 289 .30 over 500cfm edelbrock carb. ford racing intake. with a medium size cam. rebuilt c4 auto transmission. hedman headers. turbo exhaust from summit. stock gears.
pretty nice little motor. will still be harsh on gas compared to my little red saturn in the video but not too bad. and will still have enough power to do what i need to do.
been waiting for this moment for 5 years and its like a dream comming true. these cars become an obsession. didnt anticipate that but i love it. alignment tomorrow.
the radiator leaks due to a bad radiator cap (the seal is worn out). Taking it up to my stepdads shop on the 19th to for some sanding and primer. didnt have the time to get it in primer so its been sitting in sealer for more than 2 years and the surface rust has been taking a toll on the metal. but shouldnt be too big of a deal.
anyways. enjoy the vid. thanks for viewing!
p.s.
thanks to my amazing girlfriend for the camera work!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sounds great - glad you are able to see your cat run down the road! That new exhaust has a great sound to it - would you mind posting up the part numbers from Summit that you bought.
BTW - I think some might warn against the air cleaner you have on the engine in the pic - I think they have mentioned it can start fires?

Anyways, keep up the great work.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds great - glad you are able to see your cat run down the road! That new exhaust has a great sound to it - would you mind posting up the part numbers from Summit that you bought.
BTW - I think some might warn against the air cleaner you have on the engine in the pic - I think they have mentioned it can start fires?

Anyways, keep up the great work.
haha yes some have mentioned that to me. havent got around to looking for a new one. any suggestions?
and these are the mufflers. i got mine in a pack with 2 mufflers and all the exhaust tubing. i dont remember how much it was. it was about 3 and a half years ago. ill look for the receipt and let you know for sure.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-630125/

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sounds great, cool car with lots of potential. Sal

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sounds great. Also got a love a women who stands by her man when It comes to the coug.

P.s. Break in the motor don't break it be patient
Keep the videos coming
PB

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds great. Also got a love a women who stands by her man when It comes to the coug.

P.s. Break in the motor don't break it be patient
Keep the videos coming
PB
haha yes she even bought me the wood grain grant steering wheel! i think she will stick around for quite some time!
and ive only done a couple small burn outs. its hard to resist when people down at the gas station are signaling for you to spin the tires!!! but they were very small. from here on out its nothing but smooth take offs. i havent been over 50 miles an hour yet in her. gotta wait for alignment. anyway thanks for all the feedback!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just dropped it off at my buddies alignment shop. power steering pump is on its way out. didnt work the whole way there until the last five minutes. my arms were starting to get sore!! you develope a whole new appreciation for power steering after driving a 60's car with no ps and no alignment haha. cant wait to go pick it up and drive over 45 mph!!!

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
How about a video of your amazing girlfriend standing on her head getting that shot of the mufflers underneath. :1poke:

The little motor really sounds nice.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about a video of your amazing girlfriend standing on her head getting that shot of the mufflers underneath. :1poke:

The little motor really sounds nice.
LOL!!!! yeah it looked pretty funny from the rear view mirror. im suprised she actually did that. she knew to get close to the back of the car to get a good sound of the exhaust! i didnt plan that! haha shes a keeper.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just got back from the alignement shop with some bad news. my steering gear box is going out not my power steering pump. and i have a crack in my shock tower. theres like 3 welders that live on my stereet so im going to try to get some cheap work. gotta take apart the drivers side. ugghh!!!
well im glad i took it to someone i trust. any other place would have probably just aligned it and i would be back out of alignment in a week!
time to save up even more $$$$$$

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for years ive watched hundreds of videos of cougars with my configuration taking off. doing burn outs. passing by. even mustangs with 289's and c4 trannys. this is my first muscle car and spending 5 years staring at the thing you get kind of eager to drive it and just dying to know what its going to be like. so im trying to cover all the things i wanted to see in a cougar video. this is just the first of many. when the motor breaks in ... ITS ON!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Welcome to the sickness, you've done well!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Nice!
Sounds good.

Park it and save up for all those little parts, like the radiator cap. Fix all that little stuff so you can drive it without having to work on it every time you do.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice!
Sounds good.

Park it and save up for all those little parts, like the radiator cap. Fix all that little stuff so you can drive it without having to work on it every time you do.
planning on doing that. trying to take it to LA on april 7th to see my all time favorite band and its mine and my girl friends 21st birthday so we booke 3 nights and going to blow it up!!!
but anyways. pricing out steering rebuild kits. will be doing the gear box too. and welding the shocktower. hope thats all done in time or else im gonna have to drive my dumb saturn.
radiator cap. wheel locks. and an alarm system will also have to be done. need windsheild wipers too. its a race to get the car ready now. hope my pay checks allow me to get all this done. fingers crossed!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Move back in with the parents and then you can drop every dime into the coug, thats what i'm talkin about!
PB

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IMG_0650.jpg IMG_0654.jpg IMG_0653.jpg IMG_0651.jpg
heres the pictures of the crack thats keeping me from driving this thing daily. got it fully registered and insured. drove it to the alignment shop and he turned me away because the crack will make the alignement fall right back out. luckily theres like 3 different welders that live on my street and one of them is going to do it for free!!!! but after taking it all apart and having him come over he tells me i need a 220 plug not a 110. so will be bolting my suspension back up tonight and driving it to my next door neighbors where he has a 220. also got my radiator cap to fix my leaking issues. wheel locks. head light switch and steering to rebuild this weekend. cant wait.
and buy american tools. you get what you pay for. this ratchet extention broke while pulling off my wheels. made in taiwan. ha.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
pictures from the welding job. my neighbor did it for me. grinded it out drilled some holes filled it in. hope it holds up. will keep an eye on it. what i thought was a major pain in the ass repair turned out to be a very easy job. i just drove it to the house to the left of mine. pop the wheel off, take out the 2 bolts holding the A arm and drop everything down and he was able to get right up in there. took like 20 minutes. he even tack welded my support bar behind the back seat. one of them wasnt holding at all. now i just gotta install my new steering parts and if my steering is workin right i wont have to get a new gear box and just take it down to get aligned. anyways. thats all for now.
IMG_0733.jpg IMG_0734.jpg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts