Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As they say. I just bought a set of repop quarters. Only need the one but got a pretty good price on a set. I would like to have the ole girl on the go by the 1st week of august. This is when the "community cruise" happens. Been on the sideline to long now and my son is 15 now so he is going to get a lesson in mig welding. I'm not concerned with paint, primer doesnt bother me, infact its kinda cool. the car will be clean inside but outside somewhat rat roddish. Can't wait to get'em home- be about a week for delivery. then the cuttin starts. I'll post a few pics later but be kind! I'm also battling the itch to buy another cougar thats already to go. Its picked out just waiting for the inner demons to stop fighting and see who the winner is-the one that says "go ahead, nevermind the fact you cant afford it" or the other thats saying "smart'in up dummy(Fred Sanford voice) you can't afford it and the wife aint going to let you live it down, keep the peace and the money you dont have". You know what demon I'm with! hehe

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
050.jpg 047.jpg 009.jpg
Here's a few pics of before. The one of the pass side is the quarter I bought thru ebay. I cheaped out but needed the top area where the trunk lid meets the panel. This car was rear ended and the pass side was mangled pretty bad. tThe panel needed patches on the bottom areas behind aand in front of the wheel. I'm not happy with the rear patch job--Off it comes. The driver side is in black primer because it also had work done. Its not a bad job but it was hit years ago in the door jam area of the quarter--off it comes.

·
Registered
442 Posts
dmac, I guess you've read up on the ECI 69 and my 70 vert Tabco repro quarters. Hope your swap out goes well and post pics of your work as you have a coupe and ours are convertibles. Honestly, the only areas that I am not happy with on my car were the outer fender wells on each side. These were rusted out on my car and the repros were not cut correctly,to fit the quarter to the fender well. If your outer fender wells are good, you should not have any problems. Good luck and enjoy! Sal

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Sal, I did read both and it was yours that kinda help push me over the edge to purchase the repros-and of course the price. I got a pretty good deal on the two quarters from a fellow who bought them and decided to go another route. This car is going to be a summer driver/weekend warrior type car that I'll do myself except paint. I'll try to get it as straight as I can but I'm more in need of puttin miles on it than worrying about bodywork!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
023.jpg 021.jpg 020.jpg 019.jpg
The panels showed up friday. As was stated in previous post, these panels are poor quality. Lines are not creased as well and there is alot of lumps and dips where they should be flat. there is alot of extra flashing to be trimmed also. I wasnt sure if I was going to cut them up for patch panels or use the whole panel, well to late now I'm using the whole panel on the pass side. The pass side was the one I replaced awhile back with a junky panel that I was not happy with.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
032.jpg 033.jpg 027.jpg 028.jpg
Here is one spot I'm definitly not happy with. Its the pass side wheel arch. The repro is pushed in as the orginal is pushed out. Not sure waht to do here but I was think cutting this area out and using the original piece here. Kinda defeats the purpose of new quartes but dont want this big dent in the lip

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
You may be able to make a tool that will pull out the center of the wheel arch, like a turn buckle in the center of a board and mounts on each end that will rest up against the outer parts of the quarter. This will have a hook that will fit under the wheel well lip and you can little by little turn the turn buckle to pull it out and monitor the progress. The other quarter panel that is on the car doesn't look bad, why not just do the work on it to make it right?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
018.jpg 016.jpg 014.jpg
Heres a little surprise I found while checking a few blisters on the driverside door. There was already work there from a previous body job that was bubbling up-damn, cant catch a break!! Second week of Aug is slipping away, side lines again I guess. Good idea on the puller tho to straighten out the wheel lip cougar2. I may try something before I weld it on.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
IS that something you could maybe work out on an English wheel...? HF sell those for decent price......although you could have used it to make patches I suppose. Like everybody says, those are tough to make work - you got your work cut out for you! keep us posted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I used to work for a company that built sheetmetal cabinets, and on MANY occasions, we had to persuade parts to fit. If your are feeling brave, and it looks like you are (taking on a quarter panel replacement), you could lay a piece of foam along the inside of the wheel arch and lay the panel across something with a nice gradual curve, like a tire, and lean on it gently. I've taken bowing out of 16 ga cabinet doors in a similar way. Just go slowly and spread out the force so you don't dent anything.

It's nice to see someone giving the new repro panels a try. Good luck!

-Alan
70 std convertible

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
001.jpg 007.jpg 004.jpg 002.jpg
This area of the outer wheel well was wrinkled up pretty bad in the accident. I had repaired it before but it was with the old quarter in place. Its alot easier to repair with the panel out of the way! I'm a master at doing the same job two or three times because of the lack of patience. I'm a great one on not following my advice, but its all good.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
projects like this made me buy my unrotted out 69 , the galaxie has cured me of this condition!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Maybe one of those LIP ROLLERS that are being used a lot to roll the inside of the lip for bigger tires would be of help. I believe some folks rent them, like SOLO club members. Just a thought.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMGP3010.JPG Well bit it again. This was more expensive but alot better of a car. Did quite a haul to pick it up, but well worth is. Seems to be pretty much unmolested---hehehehahahah--until now---hehehehe. Not sure what direction to take it but for now I'm just enjoying it the way it is. what I do like is the look of this car dscf0014re.jpg
But I cannot find rear rims that wide. I'm looking into having a set made. Will let ya know

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
big wheels- 17-18" and an e cat scoop you'll be golden!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL -WOW!! You really got a nice one there...so what about the other one then..?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL -WOW!! You really got a nice one there...so what about the other one then..?
The other car will remain a project. I have almost everything except the patients to wait. I refuse to part with it, after all its pretty much worthless in it present state. Someday it will be done, just not Now!. Its stuck in my way in the back of the garage because if it goes outside, well thats pretty much a death sentence for the ole' girl!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not the look I want but for now its what the budget dictates. I had these rims and tires hanging around for a while so I cleaned them up, a little paint and here it is. Two of before Dan and one of after Dan.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
nice, better pictures of the newer wheels please! looks good

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IMG_0269.jpg IMG_0268.jpg IMG_0272.jpg IMG_0271.jpg
This is the start of my Eliminator Clone--Well maybe not! Not sure what direction I'm going with the car but I like the running cat better than the crest.
they are extra parts incase I want to go back or if the next owner does-yeah, riggghhht!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts