Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the peronix ignition with the points and the car stoped stalling when pressing the brake pedel and turning on the lights. The bad part is I feel the diffrance of not having the peronix in there. I was told that it was stalling becouse there was only 8.5 to 9 volts at the coil and the petronix needs to have a constant 12 volts. When I looked through my manual it showed that the voltage at the coil is about right, but if that is the case then why isnt anyone else having the same problem I do? I has someone tell me to run the petronix off the "s" terminal on the starter cylinoid but that side appears to be more like a ground then power. Can it be run off the "I" side? Or where else can I run the power from? Does it hurt to have more then 12v, like off the alt at 13.5v? Any help will be appretiated guys, I want the throttle responce back......

Jeff
68 cougar-69 351W

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
WRONG COIL

Try this out. I ran a pertronix unit but did no use the original coil. They told me that the new Pertrionix system needs better and more consistant voltage than the older original type of coil puts out. especially under acceleration. I just bought the pertronix coil to go with the pertronix ignition and HOORAY.. Works just fine.. I don't really feel any significant difference in power though but it starts and runs great. Save your original yellow top coil though for shows or other original needs as they are getting harder to find and work just fine when using a set of points and condensor.. Hope this helps..
COUGRRRMAN:)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
if its any colsolation, i tried to run if off the S side as well. no it did not run. didnt try the I side yet, too afraid ill short it out and no more drivin.... i have an Accel Coil that seems to work fine. i had an old original coil before, but that burnt out before i put the Pertronix in. after that one bunrnt out i had just the Autozone special in there. worked fine too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My bad - I said the S side when in reality it should have been the I side so that it powers up with the ignition on. I am running this exact setup right now with no problems whatsoever.
The exact setup I'm using with a MSD coil (or Petronix, or any 12v high output coil with primary resistance the same or lower than the Pertronix coil) is:

Wire from I side of solenoid to the pos side of the coil
Red wire from IgnitorII to the positive side of the coil
Blk wire from IgnitorII to the negative side of the coil.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Originally posted by sixt9coug i tried to run if off the S side as well. no it did not run. didnt try the I side yet, too afraid ill short it out and no more drivin[/B]
The "I" side supplies full 12V to the coil only when the switch is in the start mode (starting the car), as soon as you let go of the key, goes into run mode, power runs thru a resistor wire, only like 8.5v go to the coil.

When the "S" terminal is energized, power go to the starter and the "I" terminal.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
We have explained this before and Art is absolutly correct!!! It is designed to give a full 12v only as long as the key is in the start position!!. Get your voltmeter out and see for yourself.mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
so where should i hook it? and does it really make a difference?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I may be mistaken but the resistor wire runs from the ignition switch to the coil. We were talking about bypassing this completely by going from the I side of the solenoid and this I believe provides the full 12v when the vehicle is in the run mode.
I'll use my voltmeter to verify tomorrow, but this is the setup I've been using with no problems. I had tried the pink resistor wire and the car would not even start much less run.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
When the key is in the run position the coil backfeeds the solinoid, thats why it gets less than 12 v. Please do check it with your voltmeter and we can put this to rest!!!mm

·
Registered
648 Posts
aw come on mm...where's your sense of adventure?

theory and hypothesis are a LOT more fun than knowing for sure. we wouldn't have room for speculation otherwise :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts