Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the "new" fiberglass replacement valances, as the originals are always banged up beyond repair.
Painter now says the rear won't fit AT ALL. If you get it to match the body along the sides, it can't bolt up, under the bumper.
If you try and square it behind the bumper, it won't match the rest of the body.
A little help please?
What have you done to make them fit??

·
Registered
316 Posts
It will have to be totally revamped , just like making a new one .

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
:flamer:Say hello to my little friend......

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you are saying cut an inch out of it??

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yes sir - if that's what it's gonna take to make it work....you will have to rework the thing quite a bit and be sure to make it beefy in the area you choose to cut it, so it doesn't crack. Before you re-join the halves make sure you have it mocked up in place and lined up as good as you can. Maybe even do a light coat of resin to tack it together and set up.....check your fit, then give it good build up on the backside. Should come out pretty good that way.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car is in for paint now, the guy has had it for the last couple of months in his shop...I need a really quick fix!!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
To bad you can't get a OEM one in good shape pronto! I'm sure he could shoot that at some other point if need be....just one of those things that happens.....

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Quick fixes on something such as this ALWAYS lead to disappointment later on.

I would modify it to fit the car correctly and then paint it while it's on the car so you don't have to worry about it later on.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Nothing quick ends up good. Take your time on it even though you don't want to. You will be much happier later.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Brian,

Where'd you buy the repro fiberglass valences? WCCC seems to indicate they fit pretty well (but your body man would obviously know best). If you did buy from WCC, have you contacted them to ask about their comments regarding fit?

I'd say some workable originals would be the quickest way to a fix. NOS too expensive IMO. I have a spare in both; in "workable" condition. I might be talked into parting with them for a fair price if that is an option you are considering or would consider.

Maybe your originals could be worked? A hammer and a dolly can do a lot but you may have to remove the marker light brackets on the front valence to properly access certain areas, that is what I did.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a shot of how it fit, out of the box...
We decided that he will cut it at the seem, and try and 'fold' it to make it fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Fiberglass will always need work to fit . When they mold it from a original it is already coming out over sized . There is one on the back of the 70 and it is cracked from where they used plastic to fix it up .

As Bob says I would rework an original first . The metal is thin enough to reshape and thin coat plastic on it to smooth . Then there is always looking for a good replacement and buying it to save the headache .

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, the valance was from WCCC, I talked to Lin, and sent some pictures to him. Maybe I just got a bad one, IDK..At this point, my painter wants the car to go away! He has had it for the last couple of months, and I feel like he thinks he is starting to lose money on the deal. I want this to be good for both of us, so I am trying to hurry up and help make the car go away.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Brian, you must have got a bad one. I recently purchased one for my 69 from WCC and it fit perfect. Had it painted to match the car and it bolted right up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts