Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reproducing a lot of parts lately for Mustangs & Cougars, and have two new projects I will be starting this week.

I wanted to get some feedback from all of you on what your thoughts are, as it's not worth building the molds, if nobody wants to buy them.

First one is fiberglass hoods for 67/68-69/70 Cougars

Second is fiberglass deck lids and ¼ extensions with flares like the California Specials had, but for 67/68 Cougars. Not certain I would want to try it for the 69/70 era since they already have the spoilers available for the deck lid.

Does anyone know if any of this stuff is being reproduced elsewhere? Depending on what kind of reaction I get once they are finished, I might consider doing other parts that the Cougar enthusieast would enjoy having. Currently I have the 69/70 Kick Panels & 69/70 Cougar under steering column shields that I just finished up with.

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Fiberglass hood for 1970, fiberglass front and rear valance, I would even like fiberglass bumpers,

thanks, rich

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
JCC sells rear valances, but I have not seen any of the other parts mentioned. (Except for complete front ends for 69/70). I like the idea of the decklid and extensions for the 67/68. An Eliminator style scoop that used the factory mounting would be a plus too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think a shelby type deck lid and 1/4 extentions would look great on a 69-70. Has anyone tried to fit the 1/4 rear extentions on a cougar?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I'd love to see a high quality f/g hood be reproduced.
I saw an eliminator years ago with one that the owner claimed was a stock piece.
Glass fenders would be ok with me too...:devil:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Fenders probably wouldn't be to bad of an idea, considering they don't make them anymore. I bought my fiberglass hood from Usbody.com, haven't installed it or even checked fitment yet. I was actually wondering what the deck and extensions would look like on a cougar and how hard it would be to do. Would like to see what you come up with on that.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think some fiberglass reproductions of GTE hoods for 67/8 Cars would look awesome. I love the GTE scoop...and I think a Fiberglass hood with functional scoop would rock.

I don't think anyone makes them now.

I think the Cougar market could definately use Fiberglass parts though. Just about anything. :)

-Random

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
a nice fiberglass 69 hood would rock. in the future.. i will need one. and it would be nice to have that available instead of 1970 pieces. seems all ive seen is 1970 hoods and 1970 one piece front ends. fenders would be cool too of course, but ive seen those around already. never hurts to have more options though. oh yeah... anyone producing a 69 or 70 front valance will have much cash coming to them. im sure youve thought of that already though :D

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
USBody has fenders for 67-70, Hoods for 67, 68, 70. Entire front end for 70. I have seen glass rear quarters on eBay for the 67/68.
Glass hood for a 69 with hoodscoop would be cool.

·
Registered
794 Posts
3" cowl hood for a 67/68! The decklid idea sounds sweet.
Can you have them done in a few weeks, I am getting th cat painted then. :rolleyes:

·
11,000 Posts
Rear Decklid Spoiler

Shelby Automotive did in fact experiment with the idea of a rear deck spoiler on the 68 XR7-G. We know this because the prototype still exists.

The car was a factory mule used by American Sunroof and A.O. Smith Co. to test tooling installed at the A.O. Smith factory in Livonia MI. The car is VIN 7F91C500030. It is the earliest known '67 Cougar with factory sunroof. The car was given to the high school in Livonia to use in the auto mechanic shop along with another Cougar test mule when they became surplus to Shelby Automotive and Ford needs in 1969.

Here's a picture taken at the high school around 1980:

Attachments

·
11,000 Posts
There were two prototypes, the other is a '68 390 "X" code with a 4 speed.......

Both were sold to a salvage yard when the high school was closed. A guy who knew the shop teacher bought them from the salvage yard after both cars had sat outside for 15 years. The '67 is in good shape and is being restored. Also interesting is the XR7-G front valance on the car which is still present. The '68 is rougher and might not be worth fixing.

The spoiler equipped trunk lid is missing from the '67 and a normal one has taken its place. Possibly that explains the one seen in Minnesota in a related post? Michigan is right next to Minnesota after all.

·
11,000 Posts
I was thinking something was cheesey between MI and MN.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I picked up a one peice fiberglass doghouse. I plan on getting the hood cut out and holding on to the rest for spare parts. I picked up the whole piece for $150.
Had I been able to pick up just the hood for around $150-200, would've went that route. So my 2 cents is yes, fiberglass!

·
Registered
906 Posts
If you built those fiberglass rear decklid and extension pieces fora 69, I would be first in line to buy it! I have a feeling it would be a decent sized line, too. Please build that! Also, you could retire if you reproduced the 69/70 front valence.

T

·
0 Posts
i know someone thhat will do it if they will buy it around here. that's about it. he does viper hoods for dodge avengers and custom stuff for pt cruisers now

1 - 20 of 29 Posts