Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I managed to hit a fence post at low speed (it jumped right out at me!) and as a result, my driver's side fender extension is broken, and my passenger side fender to hood/cowl gap has increased significantly. (It appears to still be even with the door though) I've already gotten a couple opinions but I figured I would ask here. One theory is that my whole front structure has shifted over slightly, like a parallelogram. Hope not! I have already tried loosening all the top fender bolts and the 3 lower ones I could find, and pushing on the fender with hands, feet, shoulder.. but it didn't budge. Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
59 Posts
By top fender bolts did you also loosen the one located on the back of the fender that is accessable when the door is opened? this location will allow should allow you to tighten up the gap at the cowl.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I didn't even think to open the door and look in there.... will try that tomorrow!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Take it slow when u open the door and stop before it jams if it appears it will. That way you can preserve the paint on the door edge

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
There is also 4 bolts around/behind the headlight assembly that would need to be loosened.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
There is also 4 bolts around/behind the headlight assembly that would need to be loosened.
Thought it was two, at least it is on 69/70.

Andrew, as for being screwed, you are, if you were hoping for a paycheck instead of cougar parts, since you now need something! :buck:

Otherwise, from what you have shown looks like adjustment should get the fender back where it belongs, at least to me.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Thought it was two, at least it is on 69/70.
Yes, 2 bolts that attach the fender to the body, but to more that attach the headlight assemblies to the fenders, at least on 69/70. I think the 67/68 are the same, these 2 bolts would keep you from being able to move the fender much.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been meaning to take some updated pictures... after loosening all the fender bolts (top, bottom, front, back) and shoving it inward towards the hood (with some help from Scott B) we were able to improve the gap somewhat. We also adjusted the driver's side slightly and actually increased the gap a little bit so it would match the other side better. There are still some issues with the doors and stuff but it looks much better. Will try to take some updated pics soon.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Glad you got it back into proper alignment! It didn't look too bad at all, and despite everything, it will take more than a little tap to tweak the fender aprons enough to move a fender that much.

When did you move to Oregon? Seems like it's the new happenin' place to be lol

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad you got it back into proper alignment! It didn't look too bad at all, and despite everything, it will take more than a little tap to tweak the fender aprons enough to move a fender that much.

When did you move to Oregon? Seems like it's the new happenin' place to be lol
I moved up here at the end of January... you should cruise up here! It's pretty cool. Seems to rain a lot though....

Here are some 'after' pics finally... better than it was!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Are you going to get a new extension? I would assume so, considering where you work and all... I would just say that your extension is bent.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you talking about the PS? That just needs to be adjusted I think. The DS is obviously screwed, with the giant gaping hole and all. I'll get a replacement one of these days. The thing is, I would have to blast and rattlecan the replacement one and match the pinstripes (current ones are tape, might not be too hard), so it probably wouldn't look the same as the rest of the car. I did find a site where you can buy individual rattlecans of just about any factory color (including 1968 Mercury Polar White), but who knows how good the match really is (also considering my car was repainted at some point).

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
IMO, a new extension and rattle can paint (regardless of how well it matches) beats gaping hole in broken but color matching extension hands down!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You make a compelling point, Bob! :D It would give me a chance to repaint the other one while I'm at it too. How do you get those suckers off though? Almost looks like you need to have the fender off in order to access the nuts.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I'd look through the bunches of 'em that Don should have for one that is the same factory color with the same factory pinstriping.
When you install it, be sure not to overtighten it or you'll end up with little dents in the face/front of the extension.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
How do you get those suckers off though? Almost looks like you need to have the fender off in order to access the nuts.
You can remove the fender extension without removing the fender. Glance inside the fender and you will see the front splash shield. Removing the splash shield provides access to the three nuts securing the extension. You will need a handful of socket extensions to remove the nuts. There should be three nuts on the three outside corners of the extension.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts