Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1968 XR7 from Dearborn, I have seen in the catalogs, phosphate, cadium or black. Some are stamped RBK and some SMS? the ones on my car look like maybe they had a T on the head of the bolt but that is it. Not sure what I would call the color of them. I have been looking at buying a complete body kit from AMK. What is the correct color or type of bolt for the fenders? And would the kit from AMK have the correct ones?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Cadium is correct for 68. All of the bolt markings are correct as well. Ford changed suppliers, or got the bolts from different suppliers at the same time. Most Cougars have the mixture like you found. AMK kit will have the acceptable bolts.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, rekon I will contact AMK

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
As obsessive as you appear to be on your endeavor (not a knock, I am like that myself), I would seek out bolts that match the originals, exactly, not settle for "one of many" that is regarded as correct.

Better yet, glass bead and bag all of these fasteners and have Tom at KTL send them out for replating, that is what I did, I regard this as one of the best things I did for my resto.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Should look like this :)

Chris

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris do you have any more pictures of the front or undercarriage? 69Vert, I have all the original fastners If I want them replated? Do I have them glass beaded first or do I send them in and they do it? How costly was it to have done?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Harvey, contact Tom at KTL, contact info (and a lot of other good info) can be found at www.ktlrestorations.com

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again, I will look over the sight! My bookmark menu on this computer is getting pretty big and there are only about three bookmarks that don't apply to cougars!! Kinda cool. Learning a lot too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts