Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think an 8.8 inch rear end from a 1994 Ford Ranger would work for the Cat? any adjustments or welding?

my rear end is an 8 inch and had had enough, one of the seals gave way and its now leaking gear oil out the passenger side into the drum...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Replacing the rear axle seal on an 8" is a piece of cake. remove wheel. remove drum. remove 4 9/16-head 3/8 fine thread nuts holding axle retaining flange. pull axle, replace seal. re-assemble. $5 part. 30-minute job, tops. You'd spend twice as much time and thre times the $$$ to put an 8.8" in its place.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Yeah, you're talking about an easily serviceable part there.
Much easier than making an 8.8 fit.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Aren't they the same? meaning, an 8" from a cougar is really 8.8"?
I'm learning today I guess.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
No, 8" and 8.8" are NOT anything alike! The 8" is like the 9"s baby brother. Both have center sections that load into the rear end housing from the front. The 8.8" is more like a Chivvy 10-bolt. Loads from the rear.

·
Registered
305 Posts
one of the seals gave way and its now leaking gear oil out the passenger side into the drum...
If the vent on the rear axle housing is plugged, Differential gear oil will be pushed out at the weakest point. Check the vent while you are down there.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts