Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
As the title states, I am looking at a 1968 XR-7 GT. In looking at production numbers I see that there were 1845 of these made. Are these more sought after than just a XR-7? It seems like there are more unique aspects to it. I am posting these finds to see what people who are familiar with Cougars thoughts are. I feel that it is a good find. Looks like care was taken to do things right. It is not numbers matching, but feel that it is unique. Tought would be great good or bad. The car is right at $30K. A little high for what my plan was for buying one, but close enough that it is not out of reach.

Thanks for reading.

<U>1968 Cougar XR7ffice:eek:ffice" /><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
The car was originally a NJ car, and owned by a Parts Manager in a Lincoln-Mercury dealership in ffice:smarttags" /><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
</st1:place>South New Jersey (I have his name and dealership name in the paperwork). The owner amassed NOS parts in expectation to restoring the car. (I have receipts for a large number of these, and I still have a few boxes with NOS parts, wheels, etc. The restoration started, and the dealership rebuilt the original engine. They also rebuilt the front suspension with NOS parts. The car was not on a rotisserie, so what you see underneath is the condition of the car, and it is in very clean condition. The FE transmission (automatic) was also rebuilt at the time. The car apparently was mechanically rebuilt and the sold to the second owner from whom I purchased the car. He transported the car to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Vancouver</st1:place></st1:City>, B.C., and there had the car painted in the original color, with a clear coat on top. He also purchased and had professionally installed a new leather interior in the original color. (I have some of the original pieces still) The carpeting is new as well.<o:p></o:p>

When I purchased the car, I had it transported (enclosed) From Seattle back to NJ. When I received the car, the steering rack was leaking, as the steering had not been addressed yet. But the vacuum system all worked well, and the car had the original tilt-away steering column. The paint had not been rubbed and polished, so I had that done, for a great improvement. The second owner had placed an alarm system with an electronic (remote) door locking system, which used to drain the battery. He had also installed a new radio which was oversized, so he had cut into the body panel holding the radio and clock, to make the radio opening oversized. Other than that, I found the car to be outstanding; the doors latches click gently upon closing, and the feeling of the car is like new. The second owner sold the car because he started a family. He stated that he had barely driven the car miles or so. The odometer read 86,000. Once I had the XR7, I had the alarm system and all its wiring removed, had the new radio removed and replaced with a new radio with the original size faceplate, and a new (used) matching panel for it. I also had the tilt- away steering replaced with a standard steering column. The 390 engine was fine tuned, and runs really strong. (The engine has the heads from a 428 ci. engine, and mildly hot cam. The car may be driven quietly, with a nice rumble, yet comes alive and beastly if driven briskly.<o:p></o:p>
I was looking to drive the car, so I had a 5 speed Tremec transmission, w/ Hydraulic clutch put in. This was a special package that Tremec offered for Mustangs and Cougars as a complete kit. The bellhousing is an explosion proof type. The pedals assembly used where the original type. At the same time we addressed the front suspension and steering, using coil-over shocks, and rack and pinion steering. At this time we replaced the steering wheel with a new Nardi Mahogany steering wheel. The shop replaced the original fan for an electrical one. The car runs cool, even in stop and go traffic. (I still have the original NOS fan. It can go with the car. The car is now fully de-bugged, and runs, corners, and accelerates like a charm, yet it’s so refined you can take it to the Opera. People are constantly giving you the thumbs up, or trying to guess the model year. You have to see the car in person to appreciate its condition.<o:p></o:p>
The second owner had 15" rally wheels identical but for the size as the original 14" (NOS Rallys) that he also supplied to me. I mounted the 15" wheels with BF Goodrich radials. I had the speedometer zeroed when we did all the work. The car has original optional disc brakes, and the GT package from the factory. A <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">California</st1:place></st1:State> car Cover is included, as well as all receipts, correspondence and spare parts that I have. Regarding the engine, No information or correspondence I have seen refers to a change in block, so to my knowledge it is the original block. The transmission was NOT a stick shift, but a C-6 automatic. I have disposed of that transmission, but I have boxes of spare parts that go with the car. If any other specific questions come up, I'll be glad to answer them.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
VIN 8F93S584892 Door Plate Data 65B X 6F 09U 52 1 U Model Year 1968 Assembly Plant Dearborn, Michigan (F) Body Style XR7, Hardtop (93) Engine Model 390-4V GT (S) Sequential Number 84892 Exterior Color Wellington Blue Poly (X) Interior Trim Med. Saddle Levant Grain Vinyl and Med. Saddle Leather (6F) Date Code 09 of July 2nd Year (09U) District Sales Office Los Angeles, CA (52) Axle Ratio/Type 2.75 non-locking (1) Transmission Model C-6 Automatic (U)<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Feelings on a 1928 XR-7 GT

If a moderator can fix the thread title, I hit a 2 instead of a 6 for 1968.

Thank you.

·
Registered
301 Posts

Really hard to provide any guidance without pictures and an understanding of any and all body work done to the car. Any car from the Northeast must be inspected carefully for rust. Even if it were perfect, I think the asking price is too steep

·
Registered
568 Posts

Ditto.....pictures would be most helpful. Also, I think the price is high regardless. I like the way the seller says he "discarded" the original C6.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts

This car has to be viewed as a custom, IMHO. The front suspension has been changed, it's no longer numbers-matching (transmission gone), and doesn't have a stock steering wheel. The seller doesn't mention what he did with the tilt/tilt-away column, but that's a desireable option taken out of the car. While the other changes are popular ones and definitely up the fun-to-drive factor, they also mean that you could accomplish the same thing for less by starting with a small-block Cougar from out west and doing it your way. Is it worth $30K? I don't think so, personally, since some of the changes could be tough to reverse. The low production numbers only come into play, again IMHO, if the car remains original. I'd value this particular car (assuming an in-person inspection supports it) at a max of $20-25K.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It is replies like this, and others earlier on, that give huge value to this site. I appreciate all the replies. This car with more OEM equipment would be more desirable for sure. I will get some pics up soon for viewing.

Thank you.
This car has to be viewed as a custom, IMHO. The front suspension has been changed, it's no longer numbers-matching (transmission gone), and doesn't have a stock steering wheel. The seller doesn't mention what he did with the tilt/tilt-away column, but that's a desireable option taken out of the car. While the other changes are popular ones and definitely up the fun-to-drive factor, they also mean that you could accomplish the same thing for less by starting with a small-block Cougar from out west and doing it your way. Is it worth $30K? I don't think so, personally, since some of the changes could be tough to reverse. The low production numbers only come into play, again IMHO, if the car remains original. I'd value this particular car (assuming an in-person inspection supports it) at a max of $20-25K.

·
Registered
30 Posts

This car had been for sale for quite a while now from a classic car dealer in PA. It looks nice from the photos, but agree, price seems a bit high.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

If a moderator can fix the thread title, I hit a 2 instead of a 6 for 1968.

Thank you.
No problem, this is a job for SUPER Moderator!!! :buck:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yes it has, and still is. Looks great. I am not sure if I want something this modified. I like the manual, but there are other modifies aspects that I wish were not done.
This car had been for sale for quite a while now from a classic car dealer in PA. It looks nice from the photos, but agree, price seems a bit high.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

Yes it has, and still is. Looks great. I am not sure if I want something this modified. I like the manual, but there are other modifies aspects that I wish were not done.
Which was my thought for how high the asking price is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts