Mercury Cougar Owners banner

February 2002 Issue of Car Craft

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ViCatz 
#1 ·
The Car Craft team did a great job on their latest issue. I would highly reccomend it. There is a great article on how to port your own cylinder heads. Then there is the 25 tips for 25 dollars or less. There is an article on finding the right cam you're looking for. They tested an electric fan to see how much added horse power it would give. Then they talked about compression a while. There is even a "buyer's guide" for axles and rearends! This latest magazine is Car Craft's best yet. Go out and buy it. - Chad

#4 ·
Leon-
They tested a Flex-a-lite Black Magic electric fan on a Fox-Body Mustang. It gave an average of a 5 horsepower increase and a 5 lb-ft of torque increase. The fan they tested drew about 14 amps. It did an excellent job of cooling the engine and they said that it was one of the easiest bolt-ons you can do. Last year they did a test on a 500hp small block and the electric fan gave an increase of a whopping 45 horsepower! So if you've got a big bad powerful engine you'll get a lot more horsepower from the swap. It made for a good read. - Chad

#6 ·
Do you guys really belive running a electric fan can increase hp by 45? Oh I belive that a stock fan takes power and the newer cars that run electric fans are more efficent because the fan only runs when its needed but that sounds like alot to me. I must confess I dont subscribe to any car mags anymore because I thought that alot of the controlled tests and reports didnt really relate to the real world alot of the times. I also had my doubts weather the factory provided parts that were supplied to the mags for testing were the same parts you and I buy across the counter. I'm not saying there wrong, just asking for someone elses opinions on the subject. I guess I should have read the article before I commented, so I guess I'll pick it up this week and check it out.mm

#7 ·
Yeah MM they thought it was a "freak" occurance that they could get 45 extra hp out of it, and when they tried it in a more modest/practical application they only got the 5 hp out of it. Which would probably be relating to what you were saying about how the tests don't really apply in the real world, something which I agree with you on. 45 does sound like a hell of a lot being the 45 horsepower is half the total horsepower of some cars. In conclusion of the article they admitted that it wasn't what they had hoped for, but the electric did out perform the stock flex fan in all ways. - Chad

#9 ·
Plain and simple..... Car Craft is the last magazine i get that i will cancell. It hoked me under Freiburgers reign, and unless he does something wild and great with Hot Rod, Car Craft me. More realistic than other mags, its my choice. Oh yeah, and the fact that its one of the few mags that i can think my Car can get into LOL.

#12 ·
modifiedmark said:
Do you guys really belive running a electric fan can increase hp by 45?
For once Mark and I agree,lol. There is no way 45 HP is gained by changing a fan. Its gotta be a typo as only 4-5 HP are gained when fan is deleted from pulley system.

#13 ·
can we find an older thread to dig up?

#14 ·
U bet I can Steve.
I happen to scroll to bottom of threads and see related threads and last night this one came up. Thats what related threads at bottom are for wouldn't ya think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.