Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ever rebuild the FE smog air pump? I am looking for information or testimony(s) as how to do this or problems you ran into. Or any special tools required.

I have the '65-72 Lincoln-Mercury MPCatalog and it shows an exploded view of the air pump. But it (nor the '68 Ford Shop Manual) explains the steps as to how to rebuild this pump.

I asked Bill at Mansfield Mustangs if he sold any of the internal replacement parts (bearings, vanes,...) and he said no. Also said he sends his out to someone else to get rebuilt claiming they require special tools that he does not have.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I have taken them apart. Didn't change bearings or any parts. Cleaned and detailed with some lubrication for the bearings.

I have sold a bunch of them to a guy in SHEPHERDSVILLE, KY, couple of years ago. I can send you his email and see if he does them.
At the time he was detailing them for his own use, I suspect that he was doing them for sale too. Must have bought 5 from me.

<table border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td vAlign="top"></td><td style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><table border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;" noWrap=""></td></tr><tr><td style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;" noWrap=""></td></tr><tr><td style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;" noWrap=""></td></tr><tr><td style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;" noWrap=""></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"></td><td style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"></td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Don, thank you for suggesting SEMO, but my thoughts were more in line with Scott's. My original question was aimed at anyone who actually has first hand experience in rebuilding one of these pumps themselves. I may call Jeff at Semo for internal part availability.

I have seen photos of one of these smog pumps disassembled and they are not that complicated. They are basically a positive displacement vane pump. Somewhat similar to a Judson Supercharger of which I rebuilt back in the mid 80's.

And I find it a bit ironic that a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury Shop Manual will go into great detail explaining the teardown and rebuild of any of their engines, yet won't discuss the same for one of their smog air pumps. They suggest you discard your old one and purchase a new pump. The L-M MPC (Don,the one you sold me down in GA) does show an exploded view and lists parts numbers for various components.

Maybe it was a legal issue due to government emissions.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Pretty sure that they are Carter air pumps. Similar unit were used by many auto manufactures over the years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts