Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last thread I replied to got me thinking about racing games. Anyone care to share their favorite racing/driving related title? Any we should really stay away from (besides Muscle Car '76)?

I'll start off with one of my current favorites - 4x4 Evo 2. As the name implies it's an off road racing sim. I use the term "sim" loosely - it does share the Gran Tourismo style upgrade options and 'tweaking' which really tailors your vehicles to your driving preferences, however it still retains a rather arcade like feel when playing.
There's quite a variety of vehicles to choose from (sadly, no Fords though) including some that you won't find at your local auto-row. All of these can be upgraded from top to bottom with some rather interesting results. Yes, there can be such a thing as too much horsepower.
Suspension of disbelief, even to a small degree goes a long way when playing game. You might call it "getting into it". There are some tracks that are simply exhilirating to race. Flying almost uncontrollably across desert terrain, traversing hills at entirely unsafe speeds only to plummet from the other side - I think this is the only game that's actually given me that stomach rising into your chest feeling. Yeah, I get into it.
The terrain bears mentioning even on it's own. 4x4 Evo 2, or even it's predecessor don't limit your racing experience to one geographic locale. Rain forests, mountains, desert, islands, beaches - all manner of weather and time of day rendered in high detail and rushing by at up to 160 m.p.h.
This is a great game and worth getting over the initial learning curve. Check it out here: http://4x4evo.godgames.com/

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Grand Prix or F1 are my favourites, although the car set-up has got so complex you need to have pedals, steering wheel and dedicated PC racecar to get most out of it.

If I ever set up something like that I'd never get my Cougars finished. Guess I'll just have to settle for full sized Trans-am replica (dreaming again)

·
Registered
519 Posts
I currently have Motor City Online, Colin McRae Rally 2.0, Driver and Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed installed on my system.

MCO is cool for it's extensive customization options and the fact that it is all about muscle cars and hot rods. CMR2.0 is one of the best rally games available, the cars are extremely detailed and have awesome damage modeling, great physics too. Driver may be old but it's a fun romp and has it's own flavor in the same vain as any classic 70's car chase movie. NFS: Porsche Unleashed is simply one of the most enjoyable street/road racing games on the planet, to bad it's full of Porsches.

I'm planning on picking up NASCAR Heat, which I just saw for $10 at the store. There's a large growing mod community behind Heat with some awesome Muscle car and hot rod add-ons available. In fact one guy has already converted many of the cars from MCO over to Heat and there are other classic car mods available including a classic trans am conversion. http://www.sim-editing.com/images/screenshots/trans_am_03.jpg

http://www.sim-editing.com/home.html

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd just picked up Colin McRae Rally 2 recently. Had enough time to play it once or twice and get really frustrated. Will have to spend some more time with it after the front of my car is back together.

Also picked up Nascar Legends a few weeks back from the bargain bin at Best Buy. Have mixed feelings about it as well. Haven't decided if it's actually fun or not yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I too waste most of my time playing Motor City Online.

For a good truck game get Cabela's Off-Road Adventure 2.

Instead of the typical racing game where you're trying to shave that fraction of a second off it is about skill and finesse.
You also get to customize your truck and drive around the bush on a variety of different adventures.

·
Registered
519 Posts
CRM2.0 is a fast blast once you get a feel for the physics. I like the tarmac tracks best because of all the tire squeel and the better grip, although the Australia level is one of the best off-road tracks, and Italy (tarmac) is down right challenging.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i still only have my old PS1 so bear with me.. lol.... i like Grand Turismo 2. i have it and it was simply the best racing game i have played up to that point. its still pretty damn good. AND THERES A COUGAR IN IT!!! lol too bad its not a 69, but a 67. at least its a 390 :D i also have Need for Speed 3 (?) Hot Pursuit. i didnt really like it. it wasnt realistic enough for me and i didnt like how it handled. i also have Driver. he he he, i like that one. especially when i turn up the surround sound and punch it. damn it sounds beefy. i know its really not a racing game, but still, its fun. i need to go and buy more though. i almost bought Motor City Online, but didnt know if it would be worth it. i may go get it now.....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Motor City Online here.

Where does everyone play?

I'm on Midtown Pacific as WarMech :-D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I personaly like "Kill All the Rice", but that's not really a video game. It's more of a real life experiance.lol.:D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
MAVERIk said:
I personaly like "Kill All the Rice", but that's not really a video game. It's more of a real life experiance.lol.:D
you too???? where do you play?? i frequent the Southern California area and do it with the Cougar. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, guys. I see everyone prefers something different. But what game is the leader among the leaders? Is there any statistical data on which game has the biggest community. As I am locked at home anyway for at least a few more weeks, I would like to give it a try. I am from https://areaphonecodes.com/united-states/714. Please suggest me something smart to kill the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts