Mercury Cougar Owners banner

What is your favorite manufacturer of cams based on reliability and performance?

• Competition Cams

Votes: 39 36.4%
  • Crane Cams

Votes: 21 19.6%
  • Reed Cams

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Edelbrock

• Crower Cams

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Other

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite manufacturer of cams based on reliability and performance?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Comp Cams!

Just seems easier on the phone to deal with them at tech.
No complaints, against Crane either and have used both numerous times...
shane:D

·
Registered
614 Posts
Mmmm...gonna have to say I'm really pleased with Lunati. Little bit more expensive, but no complaints from the seat of my pants!

Comp Cams is a great 2nd choice though.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
get one made to your specs, try

http://www.amotion.com/

Ive used Crane before and like them. I tried talking to Comp a few years ago but there kinda snotty with me so I never bought one. I also used an Erson in my 289 and it was a good cam. Next one I'll get made to my specs.

Rick

·
Registered
58 Posts
Runnin' a Crane in my 302 dual quad '68 XR-7 and love the performance and still get high teens mpg on unleaded gas....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Man, I must admit that I'm really surprsied that this many people have picked Edelbrock. To be honest, I'm also surprised that Crower has not received any more votes than it has. It my humblest opinoin I believe that Crower and Reed are the best two companies listed. Believe it or not most of the really fast fords around the local strips are running these camshafts. Have you every wondered which cam manufacture your buying when you buy a custom cam from many of the racing shops across the country? Believe it or not most use Reed Cams. They have extremely good grinds and experts when it comes to fords.. Oh well thats my 2 cents.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I had to vote for comp though I have had good results with others. I have an Erson in my 351C and Comp in my 351W and 390.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I've used a bunch of Cranes in various engines and have always had good luck with them.

AlphaCat had the old Fireball series
BetaCat has the old Econopower 260
Race Camaro had wildest Crane hydraulic I could get for its BBC
Old Wagon had Econopower 260 in its 429
Wife's 'Queen Mary' (77 Marquis) had Crane in its 460
87 Crown Vic Police had some Crane I can't remember in its 351W

But...
AlphaCat is getting a new Lunati for its current incarnation of 351C-4V

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have talked with a lot of Cam Companies and in the end I have to say, since I am so picky I preffer to go with Reed. I choose what lobe I want, not what combination is already on the shelf in a box. Even a company that specializes in Ford only cams didn't meet my satisfaction, not because I thought I knew more about cams then them---and I never will, but because they refused to listen to what I wanted, and in turn I received something I didn't want, so I was unhappy. Some companies seem to have idiots on their tech line that just pick box-stock cams that are in the catalog with no explanation as to why this best suits my application.
Not only does Reed have the flexability of choose what I want for ever aspect of the cam, but they have been the easiest people to talk to and get straight answers to my questions.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I used an Erson is my 351C rebuild a couple years ago. I don't know the duration/lift because it was DEFINITELY not what it said on the box (long story).

No problems and decent performance...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Barry,

Is that good or bad? What did you want and what did you end up with?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have been using Crane cams for the past 12 years and im satisfied with the performance and quality Crane has.

Right now im building a 480 (460 +0.060) with Full ported 68 429 Stock heads, a custom gring Crane cam, Crane Triple Springs, Crane Roller Lifters, Crane Titanium Retainers, Crane Cromemoly Pushrods, Stock polished rods with ARP bolts, Badger pistons with Crome rings, Ford Performer Part SCJ Intake and a Holley 850 DP. Im thinking of using a MSD 6 AL Timer to fire it up this spring.

//Jhonny Sweden

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Again, it's a longggg story, but I had a prominent local Ford racer and engine builder do my 351C. We've been friends for more than twenty years, and he built it for less than I could have.

We did several mods including mildly-ported 2V heads and Keith Black pistons. He had several Erson cams on the shelf, and although I don't remember the grind, on a scale of one-to-five (five being the most radical), I selected a four. We were looking at about 10.25:1 compression.

Bottom line is I never got the performance I/we expected, and part of the problem is that I don't think he used the cam I asked for.

It dyno-tested at 200 rear wheel HP, and a drip test (I think that's what it's called) showed the compression to be just over 9:1.

Don't get the wrong impression...the compression isn't the fault of the cam, and although the performance is not what I wanted, it still goes pretty good.

It's been a couple years, and in another year or so, I'll be ready to tear into it again. This time I plan to do it myself.

So my answer is that I'm pleased with Erson in general, and they DO make cams that pretty much cover the full spectrum. I just don't think I got the one I wanted.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Used Crane in my -GET THIS- 78 Z28. Used to smoke the big block boys in that. But now I am a reborn Ford/Mercury NUT-JOB. NO MORE BOWTIE!Nothing against COMP. Just bought a CRANE

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I love that pic!!!!!!!!!!!!! I fell like that right now.....nite... nite..

Don

·
Registered
685 Posts
my lunati has a strong midrange. Pulls hard from about 2k till about 5 where my stock springs start to float

·
Registered
245 Posts
Crower and Reed are both excellent cam manufacturers...I've used them in many customer builds, back in the late 90s to '01. But my pick for "off the shelf" performance is LUNATI, hands down. I've used them all and Lunati has the best range of cams to fit the performance needs of the Ford family. My '70 Cleveland loves the Bracket Master cam. Cleveland owners looking for that little oomf without getting radicle and trying to stay close to the CJ specs can find that cam right off the Lunati shelf. I've built small blocks, FEs, big blocks and Cleveland family engines with their cams and I've never had any problems with the cams or lifters...can't say that about Comp or Crane.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Comp Cams Xtreme Energy XE262H is what was used for my 351C 4V build. Can't say whether it is my favorite or not as I have not even heard it running yet.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Comp Cams Xtreme Energy XE262H is what was used for my 351C 4V build. Can't say whether it is my favorite or not as I have not even heard it running yet.
I think you will like that cam Leroy, that's what I had in my 357C until I went to the XE274 as I was having detonation problems.

Got the XE262 in barely broken in condition I'd love to find a home for in fact...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts