Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your favorite aspect of the Cougar experience?

1. Driving ... includes daily driving, sunday driving, dragstrip.

2. Tinkering ... includes mechanical repair, customization, restoration, preservation.

3. Showing ... includes cruising town for oohs & aahhs, competitive shows, parking in the yard for neighbors.

4. Thinking ... researching, forum posting, documenting, debating caution fan sticker :1poke:

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I tried to check all :lol:

I love tinkering and showing off my car but driving is what I really enjoy, while I am thinking of the next things like Fuel Injection.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Well, some of us less fortunate's have owned several Cougars and own several Cougar's (3 restorable, decent ones) and havent driven one yet because all we ever do it tinker!!! I LOVE it though!!!!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I think you should add one for "'cause the chicks dig it"...but I guess that would be under "showing" - so that's where I cast my line-n-sinker.

Though I gotta tell ya, I do enjoy some of the thoughtful discussion, ribbing, and arm-wrestling that goes on in some of the threads. It's added another whole dimension to my apprayciation for the hobby, that's for sure! :D

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I choose driving but I am still tinkering and have much tinkering to go.

I like the way Paul thinks. I have a deep apprayciation for the chicks that just like to hang out in the garage with us. Chicks do dig Cougars even in the restoration faze up on jack stands. Or maybe it's the sign out front "Cold Free Beer"

·
Registered
251 Posts
1. Driving - especially casual trips around town (kids for ice cream, to the hardware store, etc.) on weekends. Always have to budget extra time for conversations that begin: "Cougar, eh? Let me guess, nineteen seventy...uh..."

2. Tinkering - fixing stuff, even little stuff, adds to pride of ownership. My 12-year-old son and I used a cheapo voltage tester to diagnose an replaced the low tone horn this weekend. He got a kick hearing the funny sound the horn made when it first blew and seeing the dust blow out of it. He and he loves to hear that two-tone rim-blow now.

3. Thinking - my wife reminds me: "Don't think, you can only hurt the ballclub."

4. Showing - don't like to park it that long, especially if the weather's good. Cruises can be fun. Touring would be fun, but that falls under driving.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I would have to split my vote 50/50 in favor of driving AND tinkering. With the harsh winters we get here in the Great Lakes, there is plenty of time to tinker. Then there's a decent amount of time to actually drive the thing from about May through October. Currently I'm a little bit behind on my "wrenching" (my term for tinkering) from this past winter and haven't driven it yet this year. But, hopefully that will change by the end of the month.

Mark

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
bowl said:
I choose driving but I am still tinkering and have much tinkering to go.

I like the way Paul thinks. I have a deep apprayciation for the chicks that just like to hang out in the garage with us. Chicks do dig Cougars even in the restoration faze up on jack stands. Or maybe it's the sign out front "Cold Free Beer"
WhatEVER it is, after 40 years of life, and 21 of those greasy in the garage for a great percentage of the time, I finally found a woman that doesn't mind joining me in the grease...well...not physically IN the grease, but I'm workin' on that one too ;) - it's just a matter of time, and a few kids moving out :jump3:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
65% driving (<- my vote)
25% tinkering
10% thinking

kdsxr-72 said:
3. Thinking - my wife reminds me: "Don't think, you can only hurt the ballclub."
Women that quote Bull Durham: priceless! (My wife does too, I love it!)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
What's your favorite aspect of the Cougar experience?

1. Driving ... includes daily driving, sunday driving, dragstrip. 50% Even though I haven't driven any of my cats in twenty years, I'd have to say that's my most important reason.

2. Tinkering ... includes mechanical repair, customization, restoration, preservation. 20% Gotta be a little off-beat. If I wanted to go fast cheap, I'd have a Camaro or a Fox-bodied Mustang.

3. Showing ... includes cruising town for oohs & aahhs, competitive shows, parking in the yard for neighbors. 25% More than above, since I strive to be a bit different than the rest of the crowd. Our Cats are definately different than your average musclecar.

4. Thinking ... researching, forum posting, documenting, debating caution fan sticker 5% I try to share my experiences with others that may not have my level of experience with my cat 'specialty', being 71-73s and 351 Clevelands.
So based on my responses above, I really can't pick any one particular aspect. You gotta consider the whole experience.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Let's see - tinkering, I have just started to do my own tinkering so haven't done it enough to says it's my favorite part

thinking, since I'm just learning the tinkering part, I don't do much sharing or posting, tho I do enjoy reading all the posts and am learning from them

showing - maybe after all the tinkering is done

driving - this is what I have been able to do so far, and I love it, even with all the tinkering that still NEEDS to be done, I love to drive it so that's what I voted for

Sue

67 std 289

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hiya Sue, in the great words of ScoobyDoo, WHERE ARE YOU????
My favourite thing to do with my cougar, rev her up and see how many pushrods I can bend, so far, my record is 3.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Dayle - I could ask the same thing "Where are you?????"

soooooo - if you like bending the rods, you must like to tinker (gotta fix them so you can bend them again)

Sue
67 std 289

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I am here as always, well, you know where I am, I just see you anymore.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thinkering, I think. Thinking up all kinds of crazy stuff to tinler with- then whats right or wrong with it. Sometimes save enough to buy parts to actually tinker. Of course I've got to have one running to actually drive once in a while. This reinforses the need to think more about what to do to the one to be tinkerd with. An all together adictive deal. :eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Thinkering"

I like that term, kind of goes with "restified". There are 50 ways to skin a cat. But the looks you get when you are out in one, everyone seems to do a double take, whether driving or parked. "They hit" or "pop" is a term I once heard in describing my 20 footer. It's not concours or restored, but it "Hits". With all ages too. I'm so glad that with the advent of the information age and forums like this we can get through the muck and get on with saving these fine cars. This forum alone and the posts I've read, to include the responses I've gotten back from my own replies may cause me to pull out from the depths of my barn, a 67 Std stick,body and interior, no driveline in need of total restification. Acquired in Ga. circa 1990, sat since then, body recently media blasted, even now as it sits awaiting what may come it looks good in primer black. So I will begin "thinkering" (thanks in part to this site), got two motor choices to begin with, a 289 "k" code, or the big FE. Pay through the nose for a toploader, or go modern with a 5 speed....Ain't it great to be in AMERICA!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts