Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, just saying "Hi"
My son bought his first car, an $800. standard 1968 Cougar. It's a real Flintstone car since there are big holes cut out of the floor pans. Body for the most part is straight with a little rust. Motor is a transplant that was running when we bought it but it would not rev, only idle. Rebuild the carb and she's running good now. It's a 351 windsor that we're not sure of the year yet. Seems like everything is there, even the vacuum reservoir.
Working on the body now and having a blast. I have a 1969 Firebird and didn't have to do anything to it but drive it and I have been spending every free minute out in the garage climbing all over this Cougar.
Just wanted to say hello to everybody and to give this warning....get ready for a lot of questions from us. Some will be stupid like "Why doesn't the truck lid raise up further than 2 feet?"
Wayne

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Welcome! Post some pics so we can get to know you and your car. Floors aren't to bad to replace. Getting cougar seat risers are, since they are shorter than a mustang's. Need to take your trunk lid off and check the hinges and spring.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I like to hear about father/son projects. I feel sure you will get plenty of help from fellow Cougar members. PS what part of the country are you from?

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Welcome to the madness.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks for the welcome!
Towcat - We live in Virginia,
Catnappin - Fortunately, the seat risers are still there. Just where you put your feet are gone. Front and back. Also, I took the trunk lid off today to sand and everything looks good. I adjusted the hinges a little and will see when I put the lid back on.

DSCN3287.jpg DSCN3288.jpg DSCN3289.jpg DSCN3291.jpg DSCN3293.jpg

·
Registered
749 Posts
In addition to fixing up that Cougar, enjoy the father/son aspect of it - I know I have a lot of great memories working on cars with my dad. This is a great place to ask questions; the people here have a huge wealth of knowledge of these cars. Have fun and keep us updated on your progress!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We're in Stephens City, VA. North West tip, a little over an hour from D.C.
My son doesn't want a trailer queen, just a daily driver so we're gonna take it slow and try to do things our self. My biggest concern is getting it safe, brakes need to be done and get the floorboards in. His (he's 15) is getting a horn that plays "Dixie"

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
"His is getting a horn that plays Dixie"...You aren't going to paint it orange and put 01 on the doors are you? J/K....Welcome and ask all the questions you may have. Right or wrong, the answers are all here.... Pat Price

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Welcome to the fun!

Feel free to start a build thread. It could be something else fun to do; to document and show off your father-son progress!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts