Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it the yellow Eliminator from a couple years ago at Barrett-Jackson? I can remember that one and then there is the black 429CJ car (a '71, I think) from the Florida auction.

I know there have been some undocumented transactions happening, but what is the actual recorded benchmark?

Can our board member with the NADA connection help here? :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
All I can tell you as of Jan. 22, 2011 it's going to be GUNNER.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Frank Bowers old 70 SCJ Eliminator did $150k not too long ago and a GTE recently did $150k. I can't think of one that has gone over $150k...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
There was the gold 70 CJ vert that sold at Monterrey for $125K thru Mecum. Did Frank's cars have validated sales prices?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Before he passed away, Larry Miller purchased David Tom's Bud Moore Cougar.

Don't know what the sale price was, but considering how wealthy Miller was/is and what vintage Trans Am cars go for, it should be near the top (for a Cougar).

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The highest price paid for a Cougar at auction that I am aware of is $236,250 on May 28, 2006 at the Mecum 19th Spring Classic in Belvidere, IL for the 1969 Super Cat. It would be real interesting to see that one surpassed.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I thought the Hot Rod Express custom 69 Convertible went for 250k when newly built, but I could be wrong about that. I had some notes on it, but on a different hard drive I have stashed.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The highest price paid for a Cougar at auction that I am aware of is $236,250 on May 28, 2006 at the Mecum 19th Spring Classic in Belvidere, IL for the 1969 Super Cat. It would be real interesting to see that one surpassed.
Dave,

Was that purchased by Kevin Suydam, or was it him selling it by chance? I spoke with him about 3 years ago and he'd told me that he owned it for a while. I would not be suprised. He's a great guy, hope to see/meet him in Scottsdale. He owned a couple GT-Es back when I spoke with him last (Royce's Blue one being one)..

Maybe the record I ought to be going for is the highest selling "production Cougar" ;)

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
I hope Brian's car fetches a bunch of $$ for a production car. I've held off selliing my freshly restored 70 428CJ Eliminator until after BJ. And while it's not a GTE it should fetch a fair amount. He and Don tried to get me to take it to BJ but I just don't have the nerve for a no-reserve auction.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hard to compare this GT-E to some of the one off cars sold...like the '69 Super Cat or the Trans-Am Cougar? But I have no doubt this GT-E will easily top $100-k...in the blink of an eye! Has anyone checked out the GT-E that is/was on eBay last week? I haven't checked back to see if it sold and for how much? But it didn't look too bad...nice driver quality to enjoy (wasn't a fully restored car)!
The only sad thing is that this GT-E at BJ will likely never see the light of day again....as someone tucks it away like a museum piece somewhere? I am still one that likes to see these cars driven and enjoyed! (I realize here in Calif. we have that priveledge more than some places in the country)!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Has anyone checked out the GT-E that is/was on eBay last week? I haven't checked back to see if it sold and for how much? But it didn't look too bad...nice driver quality to enjoy (wasn't a fully restored car)!
If you're talking about the Carribean Blue one (owned by buyrare), it didn't meet reserve at $52,400.00.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Is it the yellow Eliminator from a couple years ago at Barrett-Jackson? I can remember that one and then there is the black 429CJ car (a '71, I think) from the Florida auction.

I know there have been some undocumented transactions happening, but what is the actual recorded benchmark?

Can our board member with the NADA connection help here? :)
The black 429CJ R/A C-6 went for 87,000.00, Mecum Kissemee FL 2007

The highest 429CJ that I know of was Tom Shivelys Blue 429CJ R/A 4spd Conv that went for 99,500.00 in 2009 at Russo & Steel!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Brian,

I beleive you are now in second place!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts