Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new fan clutch for the 1969 428CJ Cougar today. The new one is one inch longer but the big problem is the actual original fan bolt hole pattern is larger than the replacement fan clutch. I've looked at other venders but no one lists anything different other than what I've found. This is an original Q code car and everything is stock. Any ideas on where to find the proper fan clutch?

Thanks

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
I bought a new fan clutch for the 1969 428CJ Cougar today. The new one is one inch longer but the big problem is the actual original fan bolt hole pattern is larger than the replacement fan clutch. I've looked at other venders but no one lists anything different other than what I've found. This is an original Q code car and everything is stock. Any ideas on where to find the proper fan clutch?

Thanks
You never said where you bought it. Was it at a local auto parts store?

You may want to call http://mansfieldmustang.com/EngineHBC.html They have the correct fan clutch.

More info...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, got it from Advance Auto Parts... should of known better. Excellent information and reference form both of you. I'll call Mansfield and or NAPA tomorrow.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Check the number of your fan blade. In 69 they used two different fan blades. It sounds like you have the later version with the larger diameter hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts