Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Cat as a driver... you know, a nice 20-footer that runs well. But... but... I'm having SO much trouble ignoring the non-authentic portions. I'm driving along thinking, "that's not the right windlace", or "why can't the instrument bezels be reproduced"?

Anyone else have this problem? I really don't intend to do a full restoration.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
my car is modified a bit, but i take pride in certain original things about it. i like the fact that i have correct original speakers in my car. part numbers and everything are stamped on it. the hubcaps i dont have on the car anymore have the factory part numbers on them as well. other strange stuff gets my attention like that lol. i got mad when i had to replace my voltage regulator with a non correct one lol. never mind that the car is not the original color ( or even a Ford one ) and that the engine has a few modifications to it and isnt stock anymore. but some things seem to matter to me

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Have same problem - that's why I have 3 one is original, one is resto mod and one looks stock (except under the hood) but has a whole heap of hidden bits, including central locking and eventually autoloc switches operating the power windows ... but I live a long way away and no one really notices

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have the same problem with body and interior. I want it to be as authentic as possible, I really like the factory look - but under the hood anything goes.
(except a SBC in a Ford :angryfi: )

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
With a little research and money and patience you can find just about anything you want for you cat. It's the little things that make a difference. After a year of searching, I found and original AM radio for the redcat in near perfect condition (still need to put it in) I will install it and then hide a stereo in the doghouse. not that I'm a purest but I too like the factory look on my cats, however whatever floats your boat

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
texrep said:
With a little research and money and patience you can find just about anything you want for you cat. It's the little things that make a difference. After a year of searching, I found and original AM radio for the redcat in near perfect condition (still need to put it in) I will install it and then hide a stereo in the doghouse. not that I'm a purest but I too like the factory look on my cats, however whatever floats your boat
I understand it... it's what I did for my 'stang. I just hadn't intended to go that route with the Cat.

I don't want to tell you what I paid for an original AM/8-track for the 'stang!

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
$300 for the original AM 8 track maybe? I bought 600 8 tracs and been downloading MP3s to 8 trac tape so MP38trax I calls em. I also bought AM 8 tracs for all my Catz. I actually found an NOS FM underdash 8 trac for my Fairlane on ebay this year.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ray said:
$300 for the original AM 8 track maybe? I bought 600 8 tracs and been downloading MP3s to 8 trac tape so MP38trax I calls em. I also bought AM 8 tracs for all my Catz. I actually found an NOS FM underdash 8 trac for my Fairlane on ebay this year.
Try $400, and I don't feel that I overpaid either. Car originally came with it, so obviously I needed it.

At least it wasn't a 1966 AM/FM... if you can find one, it'll run you about $1000.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Wow. I better start talking nice to that AM/8-Track sitting on the shelf! :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
AM/8 Track...the good old days...:)

I guess no one will really want the Kraco AM/FM radio I am going to pull out, eh?

I know what you mean about 'sliding' too. I need to rebuild the C6 on 68 KAT this winter. I'm thinking about how I can justify new aluminum heads and headers to the wife...

Ken

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Ahhhh, the things we threw away back then...

I threw out AlphaCat's stock AM/FM stereo and replaced it with a Pioneer Supertuner AM/FM Cassette and underdash graphic equalizer/power booster. Hey, don't laugh, that's the best there was 20 years ago!

My buddy Terry was gonna throw out his Boss 429s original AM/8-track. I was set up at a swap meet once some 20 years ago and took it along fortheheckofit. Some dumb schmuck actually paid me $15 for the 'worthless' thing.

My wife's 70 Mach has a AM-only one speaker radio. Might as well not be there at all as far as I'm concerned. When we go out with the car, it is nice enough outside to drive with the windows open and listen to the music of a 351C-4V, even through a stock exhaust! When we drove the Mach to the big 30th anniversary Mustang show down in Charlotte, a 10 hour drive one way, we took along a boom box with a supply of 'travelin' music' cassettes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts