Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. Nice site you have here, very informative, nice layout too.

What optional wheels were offered on a 69 XR7? I have hubcaps and want to go to a 14 or 15 inch orginal looking wheel. Magnum 500's would look good on my car, were they an option? What center cap would I use? Were the Mustang Rallye GT wheels offered on a Cougar?

This car will be shown as an unrestored orginal so I want to keep it stock appearing. For show duty I have the orginal wheels and hubcaps and the orginal tires that I can put on.

These cars look great from the factory so I dont want to alter the stock appearance.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Since you stressed originality, available from the factory wheels for a XR-7 or standard would be the 14" Style Steel wheels with the stainless inserts and trim rings withe blue Cougar center caps. I have them on my 1969 XR-7 (see link) The Mach1/Eliminator/GT slotted wheel with cap was available only on the Eliminator. Magnums were possibly added by the dealer or even later.

Click on "Custom wheels" at the site below, even though they are reproductions
http://www.classic-cougar.com/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice car Tim, what size tires are you running? I had a 91 SHO, great cars, never could make that EATC work properly.

·
11,000 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
yeah, shaker ram air (but he mentions its not original), no spoiler, snake emblem on fender, anything else????

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
how about the missing ELIMINATOR decal on the 1/4?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
aahh i sees says mees..... guess i should have clicked the link for more pictures eh?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those look nice on a orange car. I see a white 69 XR7 on ebay for 7k, owner says 36k actual mileage. The wife wants one, I may fly out and look that one over.

EATC = electronic automatic tempature control = headaches+cash

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
If you get it for her, make sure she joins the forum, we girls need more female company on here:)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
LIZARDKING

EATC, never had a problem with that. It only had 75K miles on it. BTW I edited my previous post on the tire size. As for the white 69 XR-7 on eBay take a GOOD look at the interior, ain't notin' original about it!!!!!!!

On the Eliminator the 428 emblem is wrong, if there even should be one at all. I like the mods....especially the shaker. But I'd be loath to modify a 428CJ Eliminator now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts