Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, what is your opinion on aftermarket open-element air cleaners vs. a factory "cold air intake”?

I am figuring the aftermarket open air filter is less restrictive but draws in warm air… whereas the factory air cleaner is more restrictive but draws cold air.

My under-hood temp is quite high due to my aftermarket headers/electric cooling fans. I am thinking my open-element air cleaner is pulling in a lot of hot air...

Did Ford have a better idea?

Thanks,

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I was running a standard factory aircleaner with a taller filter that raised the lid 1/2" all the way around - essentially now just an open air cleaner - but recently switched to a mid-80s Mustang GT dual snorkel aircleaner. This allowed me to use my car's original factory snorkel tubing on the one side, and I made one from 4" flexible metal ducting (aka dryer venting) for the other side. Both draw cooler air from in front of the radiator support. It might not look pretty or sexy, but it didn't slow me down any measurable amount at the track, nor did it pick me up anything. I may buy one of those aftermarket aircleaner/duct systems from Spectre Performance for the neater visual appeal...

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I may buy one of those aftermarket aircleaner/duct systems from Spectre Performance for the neater visual appeal...
You might want to buy it before Sep. 2nd from Advance.

The kit from your link will be $136 out the door, plus they give you a coupon for $50 off a $100 order...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I love my home made ram-air setup using a stock base with snorkel blocked off and a chrome aftermarket top plate, along with some Frost King garage door weatherstrip for a ram-air seal. Functional, cold air and non-restrictive too. Awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good Bob. Best of both worlds...

I would go that route if I had a hood scoop.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I like to have fun using factory items that were for other cars,

My air cleaner is a factory 72/73 351 CJ unit. Looks stock but isn't. Another good unit is the 84ish 5.0 dual snorkel air cleaner. On that line a budy of mine made his own for the 71 Cougar he us to own. He used 2 Cleveland snorkels. It looked great in Ford Blue.

·
Registered
321 Posts
There is a place called Ram Air Box (ramairbox.com) that sells very good quality cold air intake systems for carb'd applications...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts