Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I don't have a picture right now. About halfway back of the fuel tank on each frame rail, bolted to the inside of the frame rail with two bolts and then a lobe sticks out towards the center of the vehicle with a hole in it. There was nothing attached when i got the car. Someone told me they thought they were tie down brackets where Ford originally secured them to the assembly line? Does this make sense or could there have been a rear sway bar hooked up here? The holes were not really facing each other but more open towards the ground? They were painted black just like the frame rails.

·
Registered
389 Posts
somewhere recently i saw a label behind a license plate that said to remove them upon delivery...but i cant recall where they were...i think there was a pic of them...i'll see if i can find it....

·
Registered
700 Posts
Do you know if the tie downs brackets go on with the tie down hole facing the back or front of the car?

·
Registered
389 Posts
thats the decal....thanks.

and i woudl assume towards the rear since the sticker was meant to be put at the rear plate area...and the arrows are pointing towards where they woudl be...id assume the pic is accurate from the users point of view...plus that would make the most sense as far as a tie down and strength go...

·
Registered
384 Posts
I still have them installed on my car and can (when I get home Friday) take a picture of mine

I would like to know what engine brackets are used on a 69 351
What they look like and where they go

Stu

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
<table id="Contents Table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td width="600">
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td width="600">1967 - 1973 Mercury Cougar Rear Body Tie Downs - Used
(Click Here for More Information or to Order)

Part #: C7WY-Tiedowns
Price:$47.85

These are bolted to the rear frame rails and were used to tie the car down to the transporter for the journey from the factory to the dealer. The dealer was supposed...
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Both holes point to the rear as the stick shows. You can see them here on my Boss 302 Mustang. I had the rotisserie attach to the brackets.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, well the dealer didn't remove them and I am going to re-install them and maybe just have to buy one of them "Dealer Remove" stickers from Don! Never know when I might just have to tie the car down somewhere!! Thanks all.

·
Registered
839 Posts
1967-1970 Cougars arrived in Portland by Train and there was a 'Dealer Prep Yard' Down there that did certain preparations to the Cars before they were actually delivered to the Dealer by Truck. The Guy that was supposed to remove these lives right next to our shop and he never removed them, because he did not get paid enough to spend the time on it, and he never got in trouble, so he continued to "Not Remove them" Has was one of few of the Dealer Preppers here in the 60's and early 70's.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
My friend's father worked for a Ford dealer nearly his whole life. Archie mentioned that during the 1960's, Ford paid a bounty to the dealers of $0.50 a set. They needed to be collected with bolts, in steel drums and returned to the factory. The dealer that Archie worked for, deemed it not worth their while to collect, sort, store, tally, and submit paper work for the bounty.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just was under my car and noticed...duh...mine are in place too. hahaha cool.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I was taking some finished pictures of the Mustang yesterday when I had it up on the hoist and got a couple better shots of the tie down brackets.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those pony brackets are a lot different than the cougars. Kinda figured they would have been the same. I have to ask too, the leaf springs? Did they come that color? Mine were almost black. I have them apart now and when I was cleaning them up in between the leafs is still almost black.

·
Registered
928 Posts
By 71 there were at least 2 different styles - 1 for single exhaust, 1 for dual exhaust - see the link http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/components_4.htm I would assume the same is true for earlier models too.

Note I did tear down a 71 M code it had single exhaust tie-downs on it, One of my J code cars and my 73 q code both have the dual exhaust style still on them.

They are great for their intended purpose when you trailer.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bet they would be. What do you tie the front down to when you put it on a trailer?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Our most recent 1968 J-Code Cougar with the Original Dual Exhaust that I started a thread about on this site had what everyone calls the 'Single Exhaust' Tie-Downs. Also our 1969 390 Convertible that still retains it's Factory Dual Exhaust also still retains the 'Single Exhaust' Tie-Downs(Car pictured in my signature). We have had numerous dual exhaust cars with the Short Brackets. Andrew

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Mine has the same brackets Don pictured. Funny one of them is slightly loose like someone started to remove it or it just wiggled loose over the years. Pretty cool it still has them. Tomorrow is putz on the Cougar day so I'll tighten it back up then.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I bet they would be. What do you tie the front down to when you put it on a trailer?
Sorry for the delayed answer, I have tied down the front two ways.

First when I tie down the back I hook chains to the tie-downs and the trailer and then I put the car in drive to remove the slack, this also loads the suspension which does help minimize the car moving on its own suspension independent of the trailer. (this does make a difference when towing with a lighter vehicle i.e. a 1/2 pickup.)

For the front I have used 2 different methods.
1st I have used tie down hooks that fit the front frame rail slots. The attach your straps between the hooks and the trailer. I have used this method but generally it is not my prefered method.
2nd is to run staps around the lower contril arms.

Using either method, once the front staps are secure (no slack so the car won't roll) I put the car back in neutral I'll snug down the straps. Place in park/gear, set the brake etc.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for the information. I have never trailerd a car till this one and then only to the painters and he came and got it. I am hoping to not have to trailer it when it is done either but ya never know

1 - 20 of 20 Posts