Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got her scrubbed down to the primer now. Fixing little dings and what have you.
I glanced at the original paint today and wondered, since I'm not a real body man and only play one in the magazines, what kind of paint is that? Lacquer?

1970 medium avacado metallic (ewwwwww):eek:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
at that time i believe Ford was using Acrylic Enamels. i might be wrong but im pretty sure thats what they had.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Steve
i think the early 70s was still lacquer up until the late 70s the enamel market started comming out. But i know lacquer is still sold today but not as much as it was back 15 years ago, due to lead.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
laquer isnt sold today in California. well legally. even then its just some laquer primers here that you can get, but nothing that you can use as a topcoat. closest laquer product to that is House of Kolor SG-100 Intercoat clear. even then thats not exactly a topcoat. laquer is garbage anyway. that all being said, i have about 4 quarts of acrylic laquer in my garage of the color i used on my car. ( no, not what i painted my car with... used a polyester basecoat when the time came ) so sue me... im a paint freak.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I used lacquer on the jambs of my vert once all i can say is NEVER AGAIN..... Dont get me wrong theres nothing like a lacquer shine(well almost seen a lot of show quality shines) Its just a pain in the butt to wetsand and buff out. URETHANE the way to go..
thanks
pat

·
11,000 Posts
They reportedly used Enamel beginning about 1928 at Ford. Still lacquer was available in special order colors. From 1965 - 69 the door data tag was painted grey if the car was originally painted in lacquer, it was black if the car was painted with enamel. I have seen like two grey ones and many many black ones so lacquer was very scarce.

I don't expect your car was originally lacquer unless it is some bizarre special order color.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
im a fan of base/clear Urethanes. im used to shooting RM Diamont, but DuPonts Chromabase is nice as well of course. ive also been impressed with just how far you can strech Sikkens though and i used to work around alot of Glasurit. i am not a fan of PPG though or single stage Nason paints. oh yeah, Western Hi - Glo...... garrrbaaaggge lol.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Steve,

What is DuPonts Chromabase?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Chromabase is Duponts line of basecoat. alot of shops out here use it and its a good material. isnt really cheap ( $33 a pint or so usually ) but its easy to handle, covers well and is forgiving. the color matches are pretty good with them to so even though it costs a little more, its usually worth it.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Ibeen a big fan of CHROMABASE. Have painted alot of vehicles with that brand.As steve said its very forgiving.Can wetsand the base out really nice if you get some trash in it, it applies really nice and its easy to spray.I got Duponts PREMIER paint on my vert and their high glamour clear. I havent really wetsanded and buffed it out yet, but 1 run the painter left in it i wetsanded out n polished it by hand .But there are alot of makes and i used alot but love using duponts chromabase.
thanks
pat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts