Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing to replace the floorpan in my Q code ragtop.

I have two choices.

1. remove a rust free pan from a donor coupe (I have the car in my shop)
2. Purchace the repro one piece pan and patch in the repro 69/70 front panels to make it correct.

The donor car is really nice and if the repro parts are prefectly correct I will go that route and save the car.

Has anyone had experience with the repro stuff? How is it?

·
Registered
218 Posts
The donor car is really nice and if the repro parts are prefectly correct I will go that route and save the car.

Has anyone had experience with the repro stuff? How is it?

I replaced the floorpan in my 68 and nice thing about metal is you can usually form it and make it fit. I bought a repro and it fit just fine. I would save the other car especially if you say it's in good condition. I've never had a problem with the repro floorpans and they are easy to install.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
When presented with the option, I would always use original parts rather than reproduction. Since you already have the floor and it's in a car you're parting out, use it.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
If you had a 67-8 I would say go repro but since no complete 69-70 correct unit is reproduced I say go with the original. Patchwork quilts will pass when you have no other option but it will always be that, pieced together...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...and if the repro parts are prefectly correct...
For 69/70 they are not, which gives rise to option #2. Seems a little nutty to put in a new full pan and then cut out the incorrect sections to put correct partials, no?

I would say only go with a full repro pan if you could live with the 67/68 pan differences from 69/70..

Otherwise, is #3 an option or is the pan too far gone? Option #3 being putting correct patches in the original pan.

Having been down this very road, let me say that I love, love, LOVE my 69 OEM HT pan transplanted into my 'vert, but I took it from a car that was way far gone in the body and roof areas. Having said that, it is A LOT of work (but the result: Priceless).

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
That's good to know, I was wondering about that myself.

·
Registered
389 Posts
just roll some duct tape over the holes and put new carpet down. and dont look under the car. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate to take the floor out of the hardtop, but the convertible is one of 13. Looks like I'm getting out the spot weld cutter!

·
Registered
669 Posts
It always pains me to hear about solid cars being parted and cut up but I guess it has to be done sometimes.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
just roll some duct tape over the holes and put new carpet down. and dont look under the car. :)
If you're gonna do it, do the job right. Put down some cardboard sprayed with undercoating first. Pop-rivet an old license plate over the bigger holes, if you want to get fancy.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
If you're gonna do it, do the job right. Put down some cardboard sprayed with undercoating first. Pop-rivet an old license plate over the bigger holes, if you want to get fancy.
I prefer Barney's Red Green approach...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did something similar with an old off the back lot beater rambler wagon. Cleaned up floor some, cut some 3/4 plywood to fit, sprayed underside with undercoating and drove it for a year. Car got sold for what I paid for it, only cuz engine was good and it passed emissions. New owner pulled engine and trans and scrapped the rest.

·
Registered
389 Posts
theres a guy on youtube who posted a video on replacing floor pans w/o welding. he used the side panel off an old washer or dryer or something and rivited it in place hahaha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts