Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i might have asked this before... but ive been wondering still. im not sure what came with my car from the factory suspension wise. i know for a fact that it had F70 14 tires on it when new ( looked on the build sheet ) and i THINk that this is part of the handling package. is there any other way i can confirm this?? what other telltale things are part of the handling package?? i still have the build sheet handy. but i didn notice if it mentioned it or not ( pretty grimy from being under the carpet 30+ years ) i saw on another site that they came with a thicker sway bar and heavier springs, but ummm, how do i differentiate those from the standard stuff on the car? i cant afford a Marti report either so that will have to wait. the car is a Sport Special and if it does in fact have the handling package, well it makes it a rare one as it also has the decor interior. im not a stickler for originality, but i still like to know.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Where did you find the build sheet under the carpet? Maybe I can find mine too....

Sorry, I'm not much help with your question.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my build sheet was under teh carpet behind the drivers seat. ive looked for it in other cars, but have not found them before. so maybe it was a fluke that mine still had it. its worth a look anyway right?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Mine were under the carpet in the back and in the springs of the passenger seat base.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet. learn anything?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
BUILD SHEETS

Wow. I thought all the cougar fans knew of the build sheets but maybe not. Lest they get lost of destroyed heres the scoop. Almost all the cougars ( and mustangs , torinos, cyclones and the like ) as they were going down the assbly line had a build sheet describing the items, colors, options etc. that were to be installed in the car for the assembly line guys to go by with out having to decode any numbers etc.. The build sheets were typically laid on the bare painted floor pans or on the metal dash before the dash pad was installed and as the car was going down the assy. line and the car was put together, the build sheet many times remained under the dash pad when it was installed; or under the carpet or underlayment and never removed. sometimes there was more than one copy in the car.. LOOK AND YE MIGHT FIND! I have found two to date in my cars.. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts