Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda off the cougar subject but the guys over at F150.net have not replied to this.

This is being a PITA!
The truck is a 86 F150 with a EFI 5.0.
The SOB died on me.
Plenty of fuel at the fuel rail.
Rotor spins, no spark at the plug or from the coil. The coil is the box looking one.
Replaced the ICM (ignition control module that goes on the side of the distributor), and coil and still nothing. I bought a rebuilt distributor as it has the coil pick up in it. gonna try that, After I drop the oil pan and fish the oil pump shaft out of the pan-SOB!

Anyway. The coil lead terminals show 12V on the red wire and 2v on the green wire. Shouldn't they both read 12V or close to it? I am thinking that the coil pick up in the distributer is bad.......

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I've had two distributor pickups die on my previous 89 Grand Marquis in the 165k miles I had it. Two distributor-mounted ICMs as well - and I had them slathered with thermal grease on the backside, too! Always failed when it was near 0*F outside, too!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm gonna pull the oil pan off tommorow and fish the oil pump shafts out. Pull the oil pump and put the shaft in the way it should have been done. Then finish the distributor up and cross my fingers it will start up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts