Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, what is the simplest way to remove the eyebrows on a 69. I know that there are nuts to remove, but how do you get to all of them? I want to get some shine on them! Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
The best way I know of is to remove them from the corner piece.(fender extension). to remove the fenderextension you have to remove the bumper and lower gravel pan. Then get up inside each wheelwell and remove the fender extension nuts. (3 of them). Remember on the drivers side to remove the vaccumn hose and tank from the forward part inside the wheel well as well. You have to take this out first to get to the 3 nuts for the fender extension. Also remove the rubber bumper fillers from each fender and fender extension. Now with the extension off and in your hands, the 3 nuts on the inside of the fender extension will remove the polished eyebrow trim piece. Clean it, polish it, restore it, or replace it. Does make the Cat look much better. Have fun..

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You should be able to get them off w/ out removing the painted extension. I use a 1/4 drive swivel head ratchet and or a wrench. You should release the headlight doors. Use the valve or just turn the lights on & off a few times, w/ out the eng on. You will run out of vacumn eventually.

Cougar Bill

·
Registered
588 Posts
Both replies are correct. You can get them off without removing the fender extensions, but it is a lot easier if you do. If you have large hands, you may not be able to get your hand behind the grill and still have enough space to turn the ratchet or hold the wrench in place.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the info. I hope that I can get them off without removing all of the stuff. Wish I would have taken them off when I replaced the bumper. Doh!! Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts