Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I pulled out the grill the other day,I found a headlight vacume hose (white line) zipped tied behind the left front headlight bucket.This hose is blocked off at the end by a bolt screwed in th end and some tape.The light doors work fine and my vacume tank is behind the fender well on th right.I got 2 hoses that go to the tank.At onetime this car was in a crash may be a newer system?

·
11,000 Posts
Headlight vacuum reservoir

That line goes to the headlight vacuum can that should be mounted forward of the left front wheel for your headlight system.

The can on the right side is for the Heater / AC system.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
everything works the lights,heater ect and it dosnt sound like anything leaks.It could be worse,Someone here bought a cougar that was wired with phone wire.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Someone here bought a cougar that was wired with phone wire.
You're kidding me! I didn't hear about that one. POs can be really scary....

·
11,000 Posts
Headlight Tank

Dan,
The tank in the fender allows the headlights to open or close once even with the engine off. They will work without the tank.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My headlights never closed with the engine off (now they don't with it on either. The tank is there though with lines hooked up. Are these tanks proned to rust or anything and maybe mine is leaking?

·
11,000 Posts
They leak at the spot welded seam and are also prone to impact damage from rocks thrown by the tires. Of course like any steel part they rust too especially if exposed to salt and moisture.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm gonna try to bypass the tank then and see if it'll work with the engine running. Heck, I can't make them any worse. The best they've ever worked was both would open and one close. Now both open (very slowly) and neither close.

·
11,000 Posts
Check the hose attached to the passenger side motor at the top. It has to make a very sharp bend where it hooks up there and the hose often cracks at that connection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts